16gauge french shotgun wwII era

moteman1

Inactive
need help identifying gun that my father acquired during wwII. it has pt crown mark ,stetiene 17.0 marking on barrels. on the inside of gun it has pt crown mark , df.c, 29,fusil petrik,1324 all in that order. the outside of the gun has fine engraving and the marking '' offray orleans '' on the left side . also, the marking acier cap is on the bottom barrel.

Last edited:
AFAIK:

pt crown mark - French proofmark

stetiene - French Proofhouse

17.0 marking on barrels - chambering/actual bore size

df.c - dunno

29 - 1929 ?

fusil - "shotgun"

petrik - dunno

1324 - serial number ?

offray orleans - maker's name/town

acier - "steel"

cap - dunno

Last edited:
french shotgun

thanks for the replies. in the future i will post pictures once i learn how to do it on p.c. when i try to search '' offray orleans '' it comes up to french sites wich doesnt help me any. this particular gun was seized from a german troop while my father served in europe during wwII. brought it back to the states and was used for bird hunting for many years and still is in pretty good shape

" seized from a German Troop " does sound so much better than, picked it out of a pile of ' turn in ' guns in the street, or confiscated it from an private home. "To the Victor belongs the spoils of the defeated".

Last edited:
Of course, American soldiers would never loot anything :rolleyes: And remember, it was always taken off a SS Colonel.

I've got a Verney Carron brought back from the occupation by an older coworker. Confiscated from a German who confiscated it from a Frenchman while they were winning, I figure.

The German army confiscated all firearms from private citizens in occupied France. Technically, the firearms were in safekeeping until the cessation of hostilities. German officers were known to take them out and warm them up occasionally. Many of the arms lockers were looted during the invasion of Europe.

french shotgun

the story behind this gun was that it was taken from a german colonel. sounds all to true but thats the story. my father actually deer hunted on grounds in germany that only german officers were allowed to hunt on, of course after america invaded germany. i will post pictures of gun once i learn how to.

Pics

Here is some pics of the gun

Attachments

• IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1523.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1530.jpg
    IMG_1530.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 150
I have seen similar shotguns before, made in France during the 1950s and 1960s. They were about the same quality as lower-end Berettas, not bad but not top grade. I don't think it dates to the WW2 period, but I could be wrong.

Did we know it was an over-under before? I did not.

The illustrated shotgun locks up with a sliding top "hood" like a Remington Model 32, later copied by Krieghoff and Valmet. I never heard of a French version.

[Did we know it was an over-under before? I did not.]

Neither did I. :eek:.......... But, then - Why would someone "needing help to identify this shotgun" not include every detail they had available to them ? :barf:

Two things come to mind:

A picture's worth a thousand words. :)
and
A picture tells a story, don't it ? :D

Sorry I forgot to mention over and under my bad. now that we all know it is a over and under maybe it could be identified.

Ah, I took that to mean the bottom OF the barrel. That post is not what I or Dr Smith would call Precisionist English.

Any road, it looks like an interesting piece but you are presenting a gun that had to have been made nearly 70 years ago for the story to fit and records from small manufacturers in a conquered country are not very available.

Back