165 Grain enough for whitetails

I suspect you want to use the 165 gr load because the recoil is more tolerable. Let's not forget that handgun loads on deer are for the most part pretty light when compared to traditional rifle calibers and loads (velocity, energy etc). Hence, I would go with the heavier bullet weight in a 44 magnum for both penetration and energy. Why shoot a 357 mag type load in a 44 when you have a 44 magnum? 357 magnums are generally considered marginal for whitetail deer. But, many use them for that purpose successfully. I'm a 41 mag man, but also have a 480 Ruger SRH.

I guess I'm wondering what the benefit of the lighter load would be?

I have a SBH and shoot 240 gr JSPs. Just got it last year and only took one deer with it, but worked great. In one side and out the other, both lungs. Don't know what it would do if it hit a shoulder, but it went through ribs on both sides. Interestingly, the exit wound was not dramatically larger than the entrance. Didn't bleed much, but she only went about 50 yards.

Recoil is very manageable. My SBH has the Bisley grips which I prefer for that reason.

I believe these are a good middle of the road cartridge. Some guys will only shoot 300 gr, but when I get up there, recoil does become a consideration. Not unmanageable, I just don't see the need for it in my case.

I hate to assume things but I am guessing you dont hand-load. If thats the case then I would say go with the standard white box Winchester in JSP or JHP in 240gr. Its a lot cheaper than Cor-bon, and it will work just as well. As long as you do your part.

Back