16-yr-old shoots murderer--did this make national news?

Funny how these stories get little print and even less exposure. Imagine that.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

Maybe we should take up a collection and buy the 16 year old a better firearm with which to repel boarders.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

This kind of thing happens more often than you might think. There was a case here in N. Texas a few years back where a man had broken in and was knifing the kids' father on the kitchen floor while the 4 year-old daughter called 911 (!!) and the 12 year-old son got out the .30-06, loaded it, and killed the intruder. (Talk about some great kids!)

In many areas, the fact that the kids had access to firearms in any capacity can be construed as a crime chargable against the parents.

We need to rethink this, and help others to rethink this...

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

We had an incident a couple of years ago kinda like this. The lady in the story worked a few desks away from my wife.
( convinced my wife to get a carry permit)
A lady and her family were getting ready to go about their daily business ( school, work)and the husband had already left. She noticed out the window that someone was trying to cut her phone lines. The suspect saw her looking and broke through the door and started beating her with a fire extinguisher. Hearing her screams, her 17 year old son came down the stairs with a 20 gauge and shot the guy in the chest. He died on the cold, hard, garage floor where he deserved. The kid was exonerated, and rightly so. This happened way out in the boonies around my hometown. Two lessons to be learned. 1- crime can happen anywhere
2- The bad guys had better start to take notice. The common citizen is getting tired of taking their s^^t. We are arming ourselves, educating ourselves, and taking responsibility for ourselves.

------------------
You can never have too much ammo!---- Me (being a role model to my 5 year old)

More to the story--turns out two people defended themselves with guns from this out-of-control maniac.

The Associated Press--11/17/99
Sweet Home, OR: Police say one of two suspects in the killing of a man and the wounding of another later forced his way into several homes near Lebanon while trying to find a getaway car.

Two longtime Sweet Home residents, brother Dean Frederick Pruitt, 53, and John Oliver Pruitt, 54, were shot in their home when two acquaintances entered the house about 7:30 p.m., according to Sweet Home police.

Dean Pruitt died later Tuesday night at Lebanon Community Hospital. John was in critical condition this morning at Good Samaritan Hospital in Corvallis.

Police were combing the mid-valley for Marc Mealey Holcomb, Jr., 28.

Authorities said he was the primary suspect in the shooting and the break-ins. They were also seeking Corey Andrew Burdick, 23, of Sweet Home, for questioning.

After the shootings, Holcomb allegedly went to Lebanon, where he broke into six homes.

The first house was empty, but at another residence, the suspect fired several rounds inside a front door, then confronted a teen-age boy, who was able to lock himself in a room and escape, according to a sheriff's office report.

Then the intruder confronted a 16-year-old boy in another home with his 7-year-old brother. The older boy grabbed a .22-caliber rifle and the shot the man in the chest. Wounded, the man fled and went to two other houses, where he confronted more residents.

He dropped and lost his gun at another home.

Sandra Rabine said at her home she saw a man thrusting his fist through a small window in her back door, trying to get hold of the door knob so he could force his way into the house.

"Get me some help, get me some help," the man screamed.

Rabine tried to get hold of the door knob from the outside so he couldn't force his way into the home.

"I'll get you some help, but you just have to back away from the door," she said. "If you don't, I'll shoot you."

The man passed his 9mm pistol through the opening where his hand had been.

Rabine saw that there was no clip and the gun had no bullets. Through the window, she could see that the man's blue shirt was stained with blood.

Before he gave up his gun, Rabine tried to force him back by beating on his hand with the butt of her 9mm pistol that she had grabbed to protect herself. With her other hand, she dialled 911.

Rabine said she remained calm by talking to herself.

"I just kept telling myself not to panic. I knew I had to do this," she said. "My husband always preached to me to never open the door and I kept remembering that."

When sheriff's deputies arrived, they discovered bloody fingerprints on a porch post and mud and more blood on the front doorbell.

The man later confronted a 72-year-old woman, cut her on the left hand with a pocket knife during a scuffle, then fled in her van.

Police believe that Holcomb has been seriously wounded and is very dangerous.

A few observations:

The police never got there in time to save any of the victims of Holcomb.

The two people who had guns came away unscathed.

Three other people were killed or wounded--the two brothers and the old woman.

The teenage boy who shot Holcomb undoubtedly saved the lives of others in that neighborhood.

If Holcomb had not gotten shot, his rampage would have continued and he probably would have murdered several others, and that, my good friends, would have made national news!

Robert, as usual, you are right on the money.

And, the media will never look at the story from that perspective. After all, that would encourage self sufficiency and the correct perception of reality.

You are right on the money with everything, .357!

I am aghast, but must say again, that he kicked down all those doors, assaulted all those people, could have killed many, and in all that time the Police were not to be seen. Who stopped him? Armed citizens.

And, no, this story of a "child" stopping someone with his gun will not get on the news.

I haven't seen it on the national news, but it did make our local news (I live in Oregon). They didn't portray the story as one of self-defense, but one of someone gets shot and killed by a gun. Go figure.

In some states, they could/would have charged his parents with reckless endangerment for leaving a firearm where he could get it. Of course, the 16 yr old could have been charged with possession of a firearm by a minor. The crook probably would've done 30-90 days, plus some probation, but the kid and parents would get a few years in the big house...

. . . and some of my relatives/friends still look at me like I've got one eyeball in the middle of my forehead when I insist that all doors in the house be locked at all times, unless they're being used; and when they find out I keep guns for self defense.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

I would like to expand on what Danger Dave ( who sounds like he might be fellow rightwing radical) has said.

The left wants to pass laws to keep adults under the age of 21 from having access to firearms, especially handguns.

Why are teenagers less deserving of the rights promised by our founders then the rest of us?

Why can we trust a 18 year old with a fully auto M-16 to in Bosinia to make Clinton look good, but the same guy can't keep a revolver in his house to protect his wife and kids?

I think people should be judged on their own merits, young or old, black or white.

I think an important part of this story and others has been over looked.

If Klinton had his way, this 16 year old would have never been given the chance to defend himself and his family.

More kids are killed by cars then guns, but I don't see the left trying to raise the driving age to 21.

------------------
The new guy.

"I'm totin, this pistol because my dang SKS won't fit in my holster"

I got my first gun when I was 12 with paper route money. However, my dad had a GI .45 left over from the war in teh house long before that. Although he thought he had hidden it well, I found it when I was 7. I also knew that I'd better never ever touch that puppy. My dad would show it to me if I asked, he showed me how to secure it (unload and clear the chamber) and to clean it as I got older. When I got my gun (Rem 870 20 ga.), I was allowed to keep my shotgun in my room, but the ammo was locked up. It took one Sunday afternoon when the 'rents were out to find the location and the key.

My point is, no matter how well you secure your stuff, you are no match for a curious/determined 12 yr old. What kept me safe was the fear of God, the fear of my old man, and the fact that he took the time to teach me gun safety at an early age, re-enforced by gun safety at Boy Scout summer camp, NRA Safe Hunter program classes, etc. He was also good about indulging my curiousity in a controlled environment. I treaure the Sunday afternoons when we shined the family's shoes, cleaned up the basement, and then cleaned the .45 (whether it needed it or not, usually not) while we listened to football on the radio (thanks, dad).

Sorry for the ramble, but kids live up or down to your expectations. Education IS the best defense, and if you want your kids to be responsible, then give them some and checkpoint often. Reward desired behavior with more responsibility, firmly but kindly correct the screw-ups and try again. Just geezin' on a sunny afternoon, M2

It is a sign of elitism and arrogance to make it illegal for a teenager to own a gun. For every Columbine, there are hundreds of thousands of kids who use guns safely and legally every day. And a few use them to save their own lives or the lives of others.

Robert

Bestdefense, I did a search but could not find that prior thread where I asked you to tell us the best place to order your book, so I never got your answer. I need to order the proverbial buttload to get in by Christmas for gifts. Thanks.

Mike in VA,couldnt have said it any better myself.I got various shotguns,rifles and
pistols for b-days and christmas every year
while I was growing up,and got my first 1911
nickel plated colt gov't model for my 17th
b-day.I too was taught proper gun safety
and respected the firearms my father and I had and didnt play with them.well thats my $.002

------------------
Glock-Never leave home without it.

Back