16" barreled 30-06?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to prefer barrels a little shorter, but 16" in that caliber is just too much of a good thing. About 20" is as short as I like to go with 30-06, about 18" with 308.

Ruger made their model 77 in 30-06 with an 18" barrel, my brother had one for a while. It was before I owned a chronograph so I can't say about speed, but it was loud. I've owned a couple of 20" rifles. There is some velocity loss from the shorter barrel, but not nearly as much as some folks will claim on the internet. At 20" it was pretty loud, but much more tolerable than the 18" gun.

I have a "scout rifle" in 30-06 with a 19 inch barrel and it is quite loud and throws a pretty big fireball.
A 16 inch 06 is going to be a "mad dragon" I'd bet.

The "Quickload" program interesting.

My favorite accuracy load for my '06 rifle has a MV of 2603 with the 24 in. barrel.

It would drop to 2300 fps if I cut the barrel to 16 inches.

Which would put in in the class of my Saddle Ring carbine in 30-30.

But HEY, to each his own.

Those doing so. Its shooter will see a reduction in bullet speed. Around 50 to 100 fps per inch of barrel cut is the usual speed drop encountered.

My {1968-30-06} Remington model 742 Carbine model has a factory 18 1/2 barrel. Its barrel has a abundant amount of muzzle noise, flash, and too barrel lift. So much so, I purposely retired my Carbine from use a year after its purchasing. I may someday get the erg to shoot it. But I highly doubt that will take place anytime soon.
I do have a friend who took his rifle to a (professional store front gunsmith) had his Remington model 700 270 cal ADL cut to 16".
He has told me more than once his rifle lost some of its accuracy and especially so on distant targets. When asked if it was worth it (cut his barrel shorter to carbine length for his convenience)_ "absolutely not!!!" was his response.

Thanks for the responses. About what I was expecting them to be.

I will pass on it and let someone else have the deal :)

"...will pass on it..." May not be a great idea if the price is right. Rem M700 actions aren't exactly easy to find. Rem M700 actions are fairly easy and not stupid expensive to rebarrel though.

"...will pass on it..." May not be a great idea if the price is right. Rem M700 actions aren't exactly easy to find. Rem M700 actions are fairly easy and not stupid expensive to rebarrel though.

$300... if was a SA I would have gotten it for sure.

I have a 19" .270. It loses some velocity as opposed to a 24" barrel, plus it is pretty loud... but it is still serviceable. I can't imagine a 16" barrel, as I really think I was pushing the envelope with a 19" barrel.

f5b2a423afda1555e0a69343f8b07b7f.jpg

This is my 17" .308...
I put a linear compensator on so the noise isn't really that bothersome, but it's blinding in low light. It's extremely handy and compact. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Remy 7600 with an 18" it's handy to carry but brutal to shoot. And yes it's impressive to see the fireball that comes out at night

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Around 50 to 100 fps per inch of barrel cut is the usual speed drop encountered.

Internet nonsense.

There have been multiple tests proving otherwise for those who will do a little research. Velocity loss is not linear. A 30-06 class cartridge is pretty efficient with around 22-24" of barrel. Between 20" up to about 24" you'll see 20-25 fps difference/inch on average. As the barrel length gets longer the speeds increase in smaller and smaller increments. By the time you get to 26"+ barrel lengths the differences will often be in single digits per inch.

But as you get shorter than 20" you'll often see velocity drops in larger and larger increments. You might actually see 30-40 fps difference between 17" and 16".

Here are the test results of several big game cartridges that had the barrels cut from 27" down to 21". Most of them just barely lost 100 fps after having 6" removed from the barrels. Granted none of these went to 16". But the average is no where near 50-100 fps.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/short-barrel-magnum-velocity-19346/

I have a 16" 30-30 and it isn't particularly bothersome to shoot. An 06 would be a littler worse but c'mon, are we that guy from the newspaper who cried after shooting an AR15?

I have a Remington 7600 Police Model in .308 with a 16 1/2" bbl. Also a .357 Maximum with 16" bbl. Either will blow chronographs away two lanes on each side of my bench when fired.

Any deer killed under 50 yards is medium rare by the time you get to it.

I would pass on a 30-06 with that short a barrel unless you only intended to shoot cast loads at cast load speeds.

If the rifle is cheap, cheap enough where the cost of rebarrelling will still be a good deal, then fine. Otherwise, it's ridiculous. There's got to be half a million Remington 700's in 30-06 or 270 sitting on the used gun racks of all the buy-sell-trade shops and gun-shows across the country, waiting for someone to buy them. To me, a 30-'06 ought to have about 22" to 24" of barrel. I'd sooner consider longer than shorter. With a 30-30, it's OK to go down to 20" for a carbine, but no shorter. If a shorter barrel is called for, it's time for a revolver.
Back to the OP; if the rifle was only $200 and it had a nice Walnut stock, I might be tempted a little, but would probably pass. But then, I like even a cheap, post-64 Winchester, better than a Remington 700.

I have a 22 inch Savage 30-06, not bad at all.

Its a project gun so the barrel came off but I did shoot it and no issues.

Not a tack driver, it would be an excellent length for a brush gun.

No balls of flame but did not push it past medium hot either.

The "general rules" and 'rules of thumb' for velocity loss are not very good guides. I've chopped a few barrels, and read many reports from people that have chronographed before and after a chop.
More often than not, even a 4" loss in barrel length is only worth 60-80 fps for many cartridges.

My hybrid/custom .444 Marlin, for example, is running faster with its 19" barrel, than most people get from the factory 20", 22", and even some 24" barrels.
My velocity loss from chopping 3 inches? .... Less than 40 fps.

My favorite accuracy load for my '06 rifle has a MV of 2603 with the 24 in. barrel.

It would drop to 2300 fps if I cut the barrel to 16 inches.

Which would put in in the class of my Saddle Ring carbine in 30-30.
Cut your Saddle Ring Carbine to 16" and they'll be back in their own classes, again.

I just chopped a Marlin 336 to 16.25" thinking I'd do a Marauder-esque build with it. The project went sideways and took another path, but I chronographed some loads before and after the barrel chop.

Overall, I only lost about 100 fps. One of the more extreme examples:
Win 170 gr factory load: 2252 fps @ 20"; 2110 fps @ 16".

I really don't have a problem with "slow" bullets in almost any cartridge, though. Most of my recent acquisitions and rifle builds have been 'big and slow', or 'big enough and slow'. (.30-30, .444 Marlin, .458 SOCOM [really slow], .475 Tremor [slight edge on the SOCOM], .35 Whelen, and in the non-rifle realm, .480 Ruger.)

As long as the bullet still has enough velocity for a clean kill, it's good enough for me. And if that comes paired with a rifle that's ridiculously short and nice to pack through the trees... even better!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back