16” Barrel on a .308

Is a .308 with a 16” barrel braked, too loud to be fun?

• Way too loud to be fun to shoot at the range.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • It’s all good! Just don’t shoot next to someone you like.

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I have no idea, but I have to vote if there’s a poll!

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My first deer rifle was a Remington Model 600 in .308 Win. 18.5" barrel.

If you aren't doing houseclearing or constantly getting in and out of vehicles with your rifle there is no point to going with a shorter barrel.
Plus, while the federal legal limit is 16" minimum, there are state laws in some places that require 18" or more for hunting.

No, it doesn't make sense, but game laws don't have to. :rolleyes:

My .308 pattern AR has a 16" barrel with a comp. I mostly shoot 140s at 2800 fps. and it works fine. Shoots 1 MOA out to about 650 from a stable position.

Wow.

Maybe you should contact almost every police department in the country and tell them AR-15s aren't an appropriate patrol rifle for the threats they face?

Get real.

If anything, the .223 is a far safer cartridge to use in neighborhoods than a .308. I guess you have the "if you can't do it with __ # of shots, you can't do it with anything!" than perhaps you also think they should revert back to six shot .38 special revolvers too?

I'm glad you enjoy your failure of a police rifle.

Being skeptical of the practicality of a rifle designed for police work to provide a similar manual of arms to the shotguns they carry, fine and well.

Disagreeing about military style vs hunting rifles for police work is fine also.

Personal attacks and the general toxicity you exhibit just reflects the insults you gave the man back on yourself.

You have valid points, try not to be such a jerk when you make them.

Back