15.5 lb solid lead ball dug up in Colorado

Reading about the Spanish in the SW a battle site I saw a COPPER ball ! But they explained the reason. The Spanish were in the New World mostly for silver . Silver is often accompanied by copper . They wanted silver so they refined out the copper. Looking for a use for copper they found one --cannon balls !! :D

"...Could it be..." No. Everybody's solid shot was iron.
A lead ball probably has more to do with local coal mining than anything to do with things that go bang.

First cannon balls were carved from stone. Then lead was briefly used. Cast iron replaced that. Then hollow cast iron filled with black powder for shells.

What would a coal mine do with lead balls? Counterweight for something? What?

My SWAG is; Ball from a mill

When I lived in Colorado, I worked at two ore mills and know that balls of different materials were widely used. Depends on what ore or substance that needs to be crushed. The balls went into a large rotating drum and eventually wear down. .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

It sounds to me like a rolling mill ball used crush the ore as has already been stated. We used to have a cement plant not too far away from where I live in MI. They used iron balls in their rolling mills.

As far as lead and a coal mine - I'm not a coal miner but i would suspect that if they used led balls in a rolling mill it would be to prevent sparks which could easily ignite coal dust - lead balls don't spark.

While lead cannon balls might have possibly been used at the onset of cannons, I highly doubt that what you have is a cannon ball. As mentioned, transporting lead cannon balls would certain de-form them to where they would not go down the bore. I have shot a number of Civil war cannon (live fire) - and we had a 10 pound smoothbore Parrott (South Bend Replica) - we cast and sued aluminum round balls in it. Any slight variation in "roundness" could cause it to hang up in the bore when introducing the projectile in to the bore.

And, I agree - if it was used for ballast or weight, cast in square or rectangular shape would be more workable and decrease the space needed for the placement of it. One might think of a "dual purpose" - i.e. cannon ball that could be melted down and cast in to balls, but again, that doesn't seem feasible. It would make more sense that they would use lead for a dual purpose such as was used on the Lewis & Clarke Expedition where sheet lead was used to construct waterproof gunpowder containers and once the powder emptied out of them, they could be cut up and cast in to balls.

Interesting though and I hope you get it figured out.

My half-scale Napoleon fires a 2.125" lead ball that weighs two pounds; the golf ball gun (for varmints) shoots a 1.68" lead ball that comes out at one pound (wheel weight metal). I think the standard bore diameter for a 12 pounder, whether Napoleon or Mountain Howitzer, is 4.62" (stand by, let me check...yep), but that would be the weight of an iron ball. Seems that size in lead would be considerably heavier.
Maybe there's a bar of gold in the center.

A neighbor told me its weight and size is about right for a shot put. Unless it's a bocci ball, as there were many Italian immigrants here, I think he's right.

Back