12ga.slugs for bear defense ? ? ?

The shape and density of the slug itself is a factor when determining penetration. A ton of bricks and a ton of feathers weigh the same too :).

I've never found standard Foster slugs to be all that great on deer so I questioned their use on big bear. I was pretty well shouted down by the Brenneke crowd. Seem's they are far and way the choice.

Some (maybe many) East European hunters use 12G shotguns to hunt large bears in Eastern Russia. Their ammo of choice is sabot slugs with hard as steel aerodynamic bullets. Let me see if I can remember the name of those shells.

does any manufacturer make hardcast slugs? i dont know alot about them

Never found any of the foster slugs to be what I'd call soft. Sure you may get some deformation from hitting bone or such but I've never seen anything even close to mushrooming or expansion. Most look like they just came out of the barrel, round nosed and **** like. Just like their performance.

Used some my 3 inch BLACK MAGIC SLUGS on pine boards went in 9 inchs of them and 36 inch into bal.gel not bad for a 600gr slug.Most of the rem. and win. slugs mushroom nicely in the deer and hogs but most were under 75 meters.HOGSHOOTER

Back