12ga Parker Double

Quote:
so make it a shooter and go have some fun with it.
\

There are trap/skeet shoots (I don't even know what the difference is) not too terribly far from me. Would this shotgun be good for something like that?

Not ideal, but for grins and giggles sure!

Here is a good brochure for trap basics:
http://www.damascusiwla.org/Remington_Trap_Fundamentals_2004.pdf

and here is the one for skeet:
http://masondixonclaybusters.com/uploads/SkeetShootingFundamentalsHandbook.pdf

As mentioned, pattern the gun at 40 yards, not 70; doesn't matter what the choke is named, it matters how it patterns.

Well, it has 2 different chokes. The left barrel is apparently full choke, while the right barrel is something else.

The barrels are 28"

I guess that ends the idea of playing sporting games with it.
That's not necessarily true. The usual combination of SXS barrels AFIK is the tighter one on the left, more open on the right. Not always true but usual. Chances are the right barrel is a modified choke though it could be improved modified (a bit tighter than modified) or improved cylinder (more open than modified, less likely than the other two). Unlikely that it's choked for skeet. SXS is not used in trap so much today, either O/U or single barrel, but they will always be glad to help a beginner no matter what they're carrying as long as it's safe.

Well, it has 2 different chokes. The left barrel is apparently full choke, while the right barrel is something else.

The barrels are 28"

I guess that ends the idea of playing sporting games with it.

Not at all. The right barrel - fired by the front trigger - is probably Modified.
Depending on how quickly you get on the target, one or the other will be just right for ATA Trap.

I knew a couple of guys who shot trap with a side by side. Older gents shooting even older guns but they had fun.

I'm going to revive this for a couple of follow up questions:

1st: to my knowledge, this gun has never been fired since my Dad got it. Considering the barrels and the receiver are not originally matched, is it safe to shoot?

2nd: If I went to a trap or skeet game, what weight load should I have?

Is there any looseness between the barrels and action? Is there a gap between the barrels and action ("off the face" in English)?
It is probably OK; somebody at the club will probably have an opinion after looking at it.

The old standard target load was 2 3/4 or 3 Dram Equivalent, 1 1/8 oz of shot not larger than No 7 1/2. Usually 8 for Trap, 9 for Skeet but it doesn't matter much, 7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2, or 9 to start with.
There are a lot of 1 oz loads being shot these days, they will certainly break a 16 yard Trap target or any Skeet shot.

Back