12ga Parker Double

ghbucky

Hi shotgun folks. I know pretty much nothing about shotties.

I inherited a shotgun I remember my Dad buying, and at the time he was very excited about it, but he was later told the gun wasn't worth much because it has mismatched serial #s.

The stock is not blued, I'm not sure what the finish is it, has scroll work on it and is stamped Parker Bros with serial # 175813 with a 'P' under the serial number.

The barrels are blued, with Parker Bros on the sight rib, with a serial # of 197060

The forearm is made with what appears to be the same metal finish as the stock, also has some scroll work and has serial # 197060 with a '2' under it.

What do I have? I can post pics if needed.

pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    957.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    929.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    762 KB · Views: 68
pictures 2

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    734.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    783.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    569.7 KB · Views: 56
pictures 3

Attachments

• IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 43
pics 4

edit: Added a full shotgun pic

Attachments

• IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    980.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
The receiver, which is the legal "firearm" was made in 1917.
The barrel assembly in 1922.

That surely hurts the dollar value but it is still a handsome family heirloom.

Yep, you can tell the barrels don't match up perfectly to the receiver, but It still might be a decent shooter. The lever is over pretty far, but if lockup is tight, I would keep it as a shooter. I love old side by sides, and have several. Or you might try trading it for a nicer model, granted with added boot from you in the deal, probably.

I am stepping out on a limb here, but my guess on value would be $600 to $900. It still looks pretty good, so it is not in the $300 to $400 range. But of course, it's worth what you can get out of it, if you were going to sell it.

If it is tight on the face, it should be fine with some light target loads. Are there any cracks in the stock, especially around the receiver area? How are the bores; are they pitted or shiny smooth? Overall, from what I can see in the pics, it appears to be in decent condition. Mismatched serial numbers ruin any potential collector value, so make it a shooter and go have some fun with it.

If it is tight on the face, it should be fine with some light target loads. Are there any cracks in the stock, especially around the receiver area? How are the bores; are they pitted or shiny smooth? Overall, from what I can see in the pics, it appears to be in decent condition. Mismatched serial numbers ruin any potential collector value, so make it a shooter and go have some fun with it.

No cracks that I can see. The bores are pristine. I've never fired the thing, and I have no idea if my Dad ever did.

so make it a shooter and go have some fun with it.
\

There are trap/skeet shoots (I don't even know what the difference is) not too terribly far from me. Would this shotgun be good for something like that?

Maybe one or the other

Lots of it depends.
Does the gun fit you well?

How is it choked? Open chokes are for skeet. Tight chokes are for trap. Generally speaking.

Either is frustrating if the gun is not choked for the game.

How do you determine the choke? Is that included in the barrel markings somewhere?

What I'm reading is I either need to shoot a pattern at 70 yards or find someone with a bore gauge, otherwise.

How long are the barrels?
Longer barrels typically have tighter choke but Parker was very accommodating on special orders.
If you don't see the choke marked on the side of the barrel, it might be on the bottom flat over the chambers.

You don't pattern a shotgun at 70 yards. 40 yards is the standard for hunting and trap guns (With normal reflexes, you will be shooting at a Trap Singles bird at maybe 36 yards.) but a Skeet gun is patterned at 25 yards because you will be breaking the target at 22 yards or not much farther.

Somebody will tell you to drop a dime through the barrel. A full choke is supposed to not pass a new dime; but that is a very imprecise measure.

Take the gun to the club you mentioned. Somebody there will have a choke gauge or can guide you in patterning the gun. Or just have somebody who knows the games shoot a few targets with you. An AA shooter can get a good idea from just shooting the gun.

Dime at muzzle

Quick and dirty on old guns, if a dime will not pass the muzzle it's a full choke.

Yes very imprecise, but most everyone has a dime in their pocket. In fact if you plan on taking up the addiction we call trap? Better have lots of dimes in your pockets, folding money is better yet.

I love shooting trap, it is a costly pursuit.

Well, it has 2 different chokes. The left barrel is apparently full choke, while the right barrel is something else.

The barrels are 28"

I guess that ends the idea of playing sporting games with it.

Back