125 gr 30 cal bullets

Wyosmith, You should consider selling some of them, my favorite bullet for my 300 Blackout’s just happens to be 125 grains for Texas hogs to making steel ring 100 yards away, the stores seem to have every weight except 125 up in this country.

125 gr

I have read that some of the 125 gr/.30 cal slugs are actually intended as medium game bullets (deer/antelope) and are a bit tough for lower velocities from the likes of the 30-30 or .300 BLK. Posts from others on this thread seem to support that.

I've actually shot a fair number of .308 dia slugs of lighter weight from my 7.62x39mm bolt rifle, (likely bored .310) and they did well enough accuracy wise to serve for useful 100-200 yd practice.

If you ever needed an excuse, this might be an opportunity to run out and by a Ruger American in the x39mm caliber and see how it does with your varied slugs. I bet it shoots OK, and you'll find other uses for the rifle as well.

stoke them up and shoot them thru the lungs, dead deer with no meat damage, I don,t like lung soup anyway.

Last edited:
I'll buy those 125 Noslers off you!

I love the 125 grain Accubonds. They shoot really well out of all my 308s, and are a great option for deer.

To be fair to Sierra, I've gotten great results with the 125 Pro Hunters too, but at reduced speeds.

125 gr 30 Cal pills are quite common in the CMP's GSM match. Shot at 200 yards (or reduced 100 yards) they work quite will. Not much of a wind problem at 200 and recoil is kept to a min. using vintage military rifles with steel butt plates.

They really arent pushed too fast in these matches. Just make sure they have enough to work the action on Garands.

Less recoil makes for faster recovery times in rapid fire stages with bolt guns.

When a teen/young adult, we used 125 grain Sierras in our .30-06 rifles almost exclusively for woodchuck and crow hunting. A moderate load of IMR 4064 proved very accurate in both Win 70's and Savage 110.

The only centerfire bolt guns we owned back in the 1960's were '06s, bought for deer hunting, but we hunted woodchucks for good spring-summer practice at field shooting. Fortunately, we were very safe hunters/shooters and never fired in a direction where ricochets could have endangered people.

My self-accurized Savage, in a Bishop stock would group under 3/4 minute with a 2.5X Weaver and killed chucks over 400 yards. I was big and fairly muscular, so recoil wasn't a problem. I don't think I'd enjoy shooting prone with an '06 these days.

I've always thought the 125gr .308" bullets would be the ticket for turning the various .30/30 bolt actions from Savage, Stevens, Westernfield, and even Remington into an even more useful rifle. I could see these rifles acting a lot like a .308 or .300Savage with a lighter spitzer bullet. Too bad I haven't found one of these rifles that I like yet! Good luck on your 125gr adventure!

Jbotto: Yes, 125 grain bullets, well constructed for deer-sized animals would be very good for quick kills, at least out to 250 or 300 yards, but beyond that, would drop off in both killing power and trajectory, unless using low-drag designs.

I use 125grn SST Hornady, in my 308. I have taken many jackal wart-hogs and kudu's with it. Out of a short 22 inch barrel @ 3200fs. Fantastic combo

Back