12 vs. 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
hip shooting

I don't want to pick an arguement with 44AMP, only add some comments about hip shooting that I have seen. Back in the stone age I described earlier, the shotgun course had 12 total rds. Part of the shotgun course was 4 rds as : 2 rt side, 2 left side, from 7 yds, from the "hip". It became clear that hip shooting was not the best terminology to use, as shooting literally "from the hip" caused problesm, and we changed language to "assault position".

Shooting literally from the hip, with the arms locked out or nearly so, created elevation problems for some folks, and shots often went high, as the postion created with the shooting hand locked against the hip, and the off hand forward on the forend, the muzzle was almost always presented high, as if advancing with a bayonet. Additionally, as most of our trainees had a holstered revolver on their strong side, recoil could drive the shooting hand into the holstered handgun, damaging either the hand w/ the trigger spur, or in a couple instances, the rear sight of the revolver, struck by the shotgun trigger guard. And the "wide swing "described by 44Amp gave instructors fits when there was a firing line of a dozen or so shooters!

We taught "hip shooting" thusly:
The shotgun was tucked HIGH and TIGHT into the armpit, with the shooting hand holding the stock conventionally at the wrist. the wrist/shooting hand was in contact with the upper body just forward of the armpit. The forearm, upper arm/biceps/triceps of the shooting hand, clamped down on the butt stock. A good portion of the butt was actually behind the shooter when this position is assumed. The off hand grasped the shotgun at the forend, either in a conventional manner, if the trainee had enough strength to hang on to it, or with the web of the hand between thumb and forefinger trapping the barrel down. The feet were bladed with the off foot forward as much as practical. The lead knee was bent slightly, and the entire body was leaned forward into the gun. The rear leg was locked out. The bosy rocked with recoil.

Advantages became apparent. The shotgun was essentially reduced in length and easier to manipulate. Because it was "shorter" the leverage to induce swing was reduced. As the gun was closer to the center line of the body, tight at the hip, and the body was bladed, recoil was more rearward and up as opposed to up and wide. Most importantly, the muzzle was closer to the shooters line of sight to the target, and more accurate pointing resulted.

The hip /assault portion of the shotgun course was removed during my career, and a reload stage shot from the shoulder was instituted in its place. I always liked the hip assault stage, and thought the postion allowed slightly faster snap shooting hits at close range on the move. But "low ready" and snapping up on to threat, replaced the hip/assault shot.

And the "wide swing "described by 44Amp gave instructors fits when there was a firing line of a dozen or so shooters!

I can see where that certainly would be an issue! :eek:

Looking back, I can see where "wide swing" wasn't the best term to use to describe what I meant.

What I was trying to describe is where the shotgun is held close against your side, at roughly hip/waist level, NOT tucked or braced against the body. The hands hold the gun firmly, but allow the gun to "swing" rearward under recoil, and then back to shooting position. Think of one of those gadgets with the hanging balls that swing back and forth, click, click, click....

In most cases, this puts the "off" shoulder to the target, with the gun crossing the body. This has its own advantages and disadvantages, but does work.

I'm not talking about something that should be done by preference, but something that can be done, works effectively at across the room ranges, and is possible even for small folks where the shotgun is actually equal to 5-8% of their bodyweight (or possibly more!)

lateral

No problem here.

I interpretted wide swing to mean a lateral/side to side movement, which one can see on occassion with a heavy recoiling long gun shot from the hip.

Bamawife, is likely one of those in the "10% club". Three rounds of 12 ga target loads and no more 12 ga for her. We were young, I was stupid. Later I bought her a .410, .... I think she would have preferred flowers.

Shoot 20 gauge out of my 12

If I could have both a 12 and a 20, I would. As it is, I have a 12 and am now going down to the garage to load some hulls using 7/8 ounce wads that will cause the gun to pretty closely shoot like a 20 with a major difference. The weight of a 12 and reduces felt recoil.

12ga.vs.20--HD?

So many great choices,options,and platforms .But one will "feel" just right! 12 or 20,makes no difference,but lots of practice will.:)

Depending on the type of gun, it is easier to download a 12 than it is to upload a 20. I reload 3/4oz for 12 and 20 for practice, which is a 28 gauge level making for very light loads, that are inexpensive to reload, and allow me to shoot a lot for little cost. Now, for serious work - whether clays, hunting or HD/SD, I use factory.

A 20ga is plenty of power, especially for humans, in a self defense role. I myself have only ever owned or shot 12gauges and .410s, and I know 12ga is much more available as far as diversity of loads goes. There are low recoil 12ga slug and buckshot options, which should have about as much recoil as a clay pigeon load, which isnt bad whatsoever. I like 12 better and wouldn't own a 20ga just becuase I am so used to the 12 and love the .729 caliber. Cannot beat a 3/4" slug barreling through a target. Especially a brenneke or quality expanding slug. I have killed 2 whitetailes deer with a 12ga. One was with a foster smoothbore type slug and the other was with a rifled barrel shotgun (Remington copper solid HP, 1oz, .50 saboted load).

Since there is a woman involved I recommend the 20ga

Safety reminder...

Because there is another person involved, AND they are not as familiar with firearms as you are (as far as we know...;))

You might consider having only one. Either is plenty, but both together is a slight risk, particularly if there is a less experienced user.

The 12/20 Burst is always a real possibility, when both calibers of ammo are available, unless specific care is taken.

So, IF it winds up a 12 for you, and a 20 for her, make it a point that none of "her" ammo winds up mixed in with "yours".

12 in a 20 simply won't fit, not a safety issue, but not a good thing when you need the gun for defense. 20 in a 12 is a potential disaster, the 20gr shell will slide some distance down the barrel before it gets stuck, leaving an empty chamber (and some "runnin room") for a 12ga shell to go in, and FIRE, with a burst barrel usually being the result.

There is a reason that 20 Gauge ammo is YELLOW! ;)

ONLY 20 Gauge ammo is YELLOW!

If it isn't YELLOW it is well Pre 1970 more like pre WW II

I have seen orange 20ga shells too.

Purple seems to be 16ga.

12ga is any color you like, OTHER than yellow. Red, green, black, blue, etc.

The standardized color coding is a big help, IF you know what it means. I'm sure it went a long way to reducing the risks.

However, it can't help if one doesn't know about the risk, if one is colorblind, or in the DARK.

The worst case situation I can imagine is the MRS (not a gun person), alone, in the dark, in a hurry (defense situation) grabbing the 12ga, and some 12 AND 20ga ammo. Loading the gun, getting a 20ga into the chamber (where it then slides into the barrel), trying to fire the gun, getting only a click, then feeding a 12ga into the chamber and firing it, with blow up results.

(the other possibility of a 20 in a 12 is that the extractor holds the 20 in place so it gets fired (not likely, but not impossible) in which case, you get a ruptured shell that likely will not extract, tying up the gun)

Now, this is a situation that is easily prevented by a little PROPER prior planning, but if you don't, it could happen. Odds are low, but not zero, unless you take some simple steps to ensure the odds are zero.

Purple seems to be 16ga.

I thought that was a standard for safety like the yellow 20s until a friend gave me a box of Italian target loads that had a purple load. IIRC, they were Bornaghis

Now, this is a situation that is easily prevented by a little PROPER prior planning, but if you don't, it could happen. Odds are low, but not zero, unless you take some simple steps to ensure the odds are zero.

That was partly my reasoning for sticking with 12 gauge... I even got rid of my 3.5" Mossberg to make it even easier (all my 12s are 3"). I did pickup a .410 AR upper, but if I'm shoving .410s into a 12 Gauge, I probably shouldn't be shooting. [emoji6]

A 12 gauge with standard 3" loads dosent kick bad at all in a remington 870.
My wife is 5 feet tall an 100 lbs an will shoot skeet all day with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drive sideways Your 5'0" 100 lb wife shoots rounds of skeet w/ 3" shells?

I would PAY good money to see her do 4 rounds, let alone all day!

A 12 gauge with standard 3" loads dosent kick bad at all in a remington 870.
My wife is 5 feet tall an 100 lbs an will shoot skeet all day with one.

this some backyard clays?

Not happening on a real skeet field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back