12 vs 20 gauge and felt recoil

B.L.E., I have heard that said, but while it sounds good in theory has the change in convergence been confirmed on pattern boards? I am thinking that the ejecta is out of the barrel before the muzzle rises.

I've been meaning to test that theory on a patterning board one of these days, however, it's well known that double rifles that are regulated for one bullet weight and velocity will not be regulated for another, but we may be talking about inches at 50 yards with a rifle, not a bird totally out of the pattern with a shotgun.

Look at the high speed photo in post #168 of this thread to answer the question of "does the barrel move before the shot leaves the barrel?"

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529137&page=7

Nice pictures, but a pistol isn't going to react much like a 8# shotgun braced against a shoulder. The pic illustrates lateral movement and it is true, from what I have read, that a SG also moves laterally toward the shooter due to recoil. By the time the shot cup is out of the muzzle, about 0.3 inches, which takes about 0.003 seconds from time of ignition. During that period, I question just how much barrel rise occurs and how much it affects point of impact.

Going back to that pistol photography, and the other pics, especially the post immediately prior to 168, it does look as though muzzle jump occurs after the pistol bullet is out of the barrel.

I have a Remington 11-87 Sporting Clays 12 Ga with light contour barrel, handles 7/8 oz reloads just fine and with those felt recoil is nonexistent.

Back