12-gauge slug at 2,700 FPS

when i lived in ohio i always hunted with regular old rem. slugs,,,,2 3/4 with a smooth bore barrel...and 870,,,,i swapped out the 870 for 1100,,,way better,,,never saw any need for 3" or 3 1/2"

and like Model12Win said they will do it just fine

i pipe lined a nice buck one time,,,he was facing me at about 40 yrds,,stomping his foot,,,yep i was busted,,,but he wasnt giving any ground,,,40 yrds in the chest,,,flipped him over backwards,,,horns stuck in the mud,,,blood everywhere,,,1 shot dead deer,,,,shot placement is the answer,,,some guys use 20ga. with good results

there is plenty muzzle energy from regular old slugs,,,,no need for anything more

ocharry

400 gr at 2700 is .458 WM velocity/weight and that's 50,000 CUP for a .458 rifle.

You aren't going to get 2700fps from a 400gr slug in a .458 Winchester Magnum. 24-2500fps TOPS. To hit the 2700fps range you simply need more powder than the .458Win holds. A .460 Weatherby could do it, the .458 Win simply cannot.

And, at that speed, you are going to be in the neighborhood of 80ft/lbs of recoil. There is a REASON most rifles in that power range weigh 12+ lbs, and 9lbs is considered a featherwieght! ;)

To get the level of energy the OP is looking for, at shotgun pressures you are going to need a weapon with a bore diameter measured in inches (over 1 inch bore diameter). Smaller bores can generate that level of energy ONLY with pressures several times higher than what shotguns are built to handle.

I suggest the OP go read about 20mm Lahti or Solothurn anti tank rifles. They are real.

A 12 gauge that pushes a slug to 2700 fps is fiction.

Could always go for the 577 TRex or 700 NE:

The 700 Nitro is packing about 11500 lbs of energy at the muzzle with a 1000 grain bullet!(factory loaded bullet) That is some AMAZING power! It also recoils with about 198lbs!!! In comparison a 30.06-depending on the load and the rifle- has about 18 lbs.

Surprisingly the T-Rex, the less powerful of the two with a 750 grain projectile producing just over 10000 lbs of energy has a recoil average of 220 lbs!!!! That is enough to break your wrist if you do not know what you are not experienced and know what you are doing.

Post is 10 years old now.
Kind of suspect a slug at 2700 fps would melt in the barrel. Recoil would be astounding too.
The T-Rex is suppose to have 172 foot-pounds of recoil out of a 12 pound rifle. A 12 Ga. 3" mag using 1 5/8 of shot t 1280 fps and weighing 7.5 lbs. has 52.0 ft-lbs of recoil.

There was the guy who got Holland's to make him a 10 bore Nitro double.
It did not have the velocity of a hot bolt action, but it was putting out a lot of lead.

Mastodons?

What are ya'll hunting for heavens sake? Heck my little brother learned to respect a 20 ga. with 3" mags. Light little 20 ga double, and a black and blue shoulder.

I just don't understand folks who "like" heavy recoil. No thanks. I shall use the lightest recoiling load that gets the job done.

I shoot a lot of trap. From the 16 it's one ounce and about 1050 FPS. I can shoot that most all day. Anything more and after a hundred or so I get flaky. It's like my brain and my trigger finger suffer a disconnect. The subconscious is a very powerful thing.

I don't like recoil, and i never will like recoil. Why beat yourself up? I do have a name for those who hunt deer with a .338......Masochist. There are better ways to make sausage.

12 gauge shotgun from hell

The beginning of this thread predates the ubiquitous "12 gauge rifle from Hell" posts.
Ed Hubel has been working on high velocity slug loads for 12 gauge shotguns for quite a while.
His posts are on this forum:
Here is his opener:
Back visiting here to tell about project a few of us over
on AR did..It is big wildcat called the 12GA From Hell.
First it is a long case we made by putting 12ga size rim
on bmg brass, and straightened case out.Two others put
it in big Borchardt falling block actions, and I put it in
a Savage 210 Bolt action with long heavy barrel and a heavy
stock..I got a hard Dixie Terminator 730 gr slug out at
2700 fps. The Borchardts will do more.Here is picture of our
case next to a regular plastic 12ga case, which by the way
can also be fired in our chambers.Ed Hubel

The beginning of this thread predates the ubiquitous "12 gauge rifle from Hell" posts. Ed Hubel has been working on high velocity slug loads for 12 gauge shotguns for quite a while.

First it is a long case we made by putting 12ga size rim
on bmg brass, and straightened case out.Two others put
it in big Borchardt falling block actions, and I put it in
a Savage 210 Bolt action with long heavy barrel and a heavy
stock..

Ed & Co. have done some amazing things, but I would contend that custom guns built on Borchardt and Savage rifle actions fall outside the definition of "a standard 12 ga shotgun".

So my answer is still "no".

At some point don't your run afoul of the ATF by manufacturing a "destructive device" over .50 caliber? I know that shotguns are somehow excluded but I am not familiar with the reasoning.

slugs

I doubt that I am getting 2700 fps but I have used loads in my Mossberg 695 that sound outrageous --- 90 grains of SR4759 and a one ounce BPI "Thug Slug". From Hubel's "12 gauge from Hell".
Lab tested and safe pressures. One of these days I will chrono these.
Pete

Back