12 Gauge Pump as an All-Purpose "One Gun"???

Not to hyjack this thread, but what advantage does a pump over an auto, save for a generaly cheaper price?

None, nada, zip, nil.

semi-auto shot guns are notoriously picky when it comes to feeding reliably.

TOTAL BS. Any shell that will have a feeding issue with a semi will also have that same issue with a pump. I shoot semis - my gas guns - one of which is a 3.5" gun - handle my 3/4oz reloads with ZERO malfs. If your reloads are hanging up - sounds more like crappy reloads.

A pump is a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none. It can do a variety of tasks, but it isn't the best choice for anything. There are better choices for clays, for hunting, for HD/SD.

I've found that items that do everything tend to do them poorly...

That being said, unless you're hunting at ranges of 150 yards plus, an 870 will be able to do everything you need it to do and do it very well, like mine has been doing for years. You just have to get past the fact that you're using a boring ol' 870:D

Also rifled slugs are more accurate to longer ranges than people think. I personally can't, but my brother with perfect eyesight can bust clays with them at 100 yards all day long. Just my .02 cents

Not to hyjack this thread, but what advantage does a pump over an auto, save for a generaly cheaper price?

A pump is the revolver of shotguns. It can be dirty, mistreated and abused but it generally goes bang every time you pull the trigger. A semi-auto is a semi-auto whether it is a pistol or a shotgun. They are very reliable if they are kept clean, properly adjusted and are treated reasonably well but they have failures if they are not.

I have more trust in a pump shotgun the same way I do a revolver.

I have three types of shotguns: double-barrel, pump and semi.

My experiences are pretty limited. However, I would keep the pump over the other two if I could only have 1 shotgun.

In my experience a semi-auto shotgun, as a category, is not the best for a 1 shotgun, end of times, scenario.

My experience has shown that you have to spend the time to find the loads that the shotgun likes. I don't mean in terms of patterning, but in terms of loading and ejecting.

For example, my semi won't cycle low power loads under 1250fps and under 1oz on a reliable basis. It fails to eject them, and then tries to load. Jams are only fun on toast or in the garage.

In my experience, a pump can handle 2.5 dram loads all the way up to my 'monster' 3.5" magnum rounds. And all without doing anything more than wincing at the pain.

My semi can handle hotter rounds, after changing a gas bushing. But the low stuff jams it.

I know that others have VERY different results. I know that others have MUCH more extensive experience. I know others say 'well, just use the rounds the semi was designed for'.

However, if I can only have 1 shotgun, I want it to chamber/fire/extract/load every available round of the gauge and shell length that it was designed for.

A pump does that without hesitation. Semi's may have a narrow range of load options that they are reliable with.

Now, I also understand the 'right tool for the right job' approach, and there are better models for each application for a shotgun. That is why I have SxS, O/U, and Semi. Yet, a pump allows someone to accomplish almost any application.

Kind of like a Honda Accord can do almost anything that a person needs from a car [not a truck], like getting to work, taking 4 people to dinner/movies, bringing home groceries/mall shopping, long trips to national parks, fun drives in the mountains/along coast. However, there are car models that are better for every application. Most people can't afford multiple cars.

I know, shotguns are not cars. But, some people can't afford multiple shotguns either.

I am sure that more reliable semi-auto shotguns can be found than mine [S&W 1012, from Turkey, @ 2005], but I am also confident that they cost more than a $400 Rem 870 or Mossy 500.

Again, I'd keep my 870 over the others if I could only have one, but I'd miss the others.

Do all shotgun

What about a combinaton rifle?

O/U shotgun and rifle

Or are you not allowed to turkey Hunt with a rifle?

Use Fmj to not destroy any meat

Perfekt walking around rifle
20gauge and you get a really light rifle
A soft shooting riflecalibre
I have 6,5x55 but 270win or even 308 for you guys

Traditionalists says you gotta have a rimmed round but that is BS

Even the cheaper baikals are alright

a rifle/rifle/shotgun drilling is on my to buy before I turn 50years old list:D

I very much think that is better than a shotgun/shotgun/rifle drilling which is the most common.

atleast for my hunting I hutn big game and small game is just opportunistic, not the other way around

Back