12 ga. MINI shotshells

maxinquaye

I have seen these on Cole-Distributing's website, they are mini shotshells and slugs, 1.5 inches long. They have supposedly a light recoil, and increase the capacity of your gun.

Has anyone tried them? Feedback appreciated; they seem ideal for lower penetration and higher capacity for my Mossberg 590A1 in the aparement.

THANKS

I have fired the slugs in my 500. I found that you must cycle the pump as fast as you can. This is the only way to keep the shell from flipping end over end. If you cycle it slowly, the shell will bounce all around inside the receiver.

I don't know that I'd use the slgs for HD or hunting for that matter. In my opinion, they are simply a "novelty" item.

Ned

Maxinquaye, those look cool! A buddy of mine loaded some 2" roll crimped shells for me with 1 oz. of 7 1/2 plated shot. They work pretty well.

I just checked out the Aguila's on the Cole site. Wish they'd tell the shot weight of the 7 1/2 load. I'm guessing it's 7/8 oz. Velocity? And how long is the loaded round? Are these actually 2" shells?

The 2" shells functioned fine in my 870. Don't know if the shorter 1 1/2" will cause problems. Cole claims they will work fine in the 870.

I'm going to order some to try them out.

Regards! DaMan

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited September 18, 2000).]

DaMan...let me know how they work for you...also if anyone has tried them specifcally in a 500 - 590 I would like to know if they cycled ok or not.

Thanks

I sent my order to Coles shortly after my last post. The "shorty ammo" has still not been delivered. The "Aguila 1.5" #7 1/2 ammo was in stock. Wondering why it's taking so long for delivery from Cole's (almost 3 wks. so far)?!

Regards! DaMan

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited October 08, 2000).]

I cycled a bunch through a 590 (haven't fired them yet). Lousy performance because there's enough room for them to flip over vertically. Some got stuck pointing straight up. Some flipped down and actually stuck out the bottom. Some did manage to chamber properly. They'll provide a few interesting minutes at the range, but I certainily won't bet my life on them.

this is all hearsay so take it with appropiate salt. At the gunshow a dealer selling the Aguila minishells said he had been having a hard time getting them because of the factory problem. "factory problem?" He said workers went on strike so the factory fired them and was rehiring new ones.
If there is any truth to this we might want to stay away so as not to support bad management / not to say WHAT is there quality control like after all this?

I bought a box of them(mini) a year ago. I paid $7.99 for it. They didn't work in my 870. They work OK in my SxS Coach Gun. Remington 2 3/4" field loads work in both for >$3.00 a box. FWIW, I consider them (mini) sort of a novelty item. I DID get about $5.00 worth of grins out of shooting them, so if you have a few spare $$ they might be worth a try. I'd pick up some if, and only if, the price was right.

RAE and ctdonath, your reports on how these work in good pump guns is bad news.

I was planning on using these in my Rem. 870. Oh well, I still have a couple other break actions that I can use them in.

They seem like a novelty item. I paid $5.00 a box (25) so there really is no economic incentive to buy these. If they won't feed in my Rem. 870 or 1100, it won't matter how many more of these I can fit in the magazine over the 2 3/4" shells.

But they sure are cute! And compact! I can put 4 of them (assuming they are 1.5" loaded) and one Breneke slug in my NEFs' buttstocks for reserve.

Dundee, Aguila (Eagle) is a Mexican ammunition company. It wouldn't surprise me that they fired all their workers for going on strike. But Cole's claimed they had these in stock when I ordered. So I better get my shells pretty soon or I won't be doing business with them again!

Regards! DaMan

I think these guys are pretty neat! Ever since I saw them I have been trying to find a problem for which they are sutited to solve. After all they're just so cute! :)
Found one! I have a shotgun sling with loops (uncle mikes) and it is only 2.5"wide. When I put regular shells through the loops they stick out the sides and make it quite difficult to handle. The little 1.5" shells fit in their perfectly, and since they are much lighter weight, they add little swing to the sling. :)
I find they function 95% of the time in my Benelli Nova. That makes me a little nervous and thus my mag tube is loaded with regular shells for now. Most of the misfeeds though were from me cycling it really slowly, or sliding it back, waiting and bouncing it around before I slid it forward. ie user error.

------------------
Best Regards,
Godspeed

Anybody know where I can get the 00buck ones of these on the internet? My local gun store only has slugs and 7.5shot.

------------------
Best Regards,
Godspeed

There was a company (in AZ) that loaded some 9 pellet 00 Buck loads. They were 2" or 2.5". I don't think you can stuff enough of those "grey whistlers" in a 1.5" shell to make them effective (6 pellets maybe). I heard the 2" shells with 9 pellets provided pretty good performance. Similar to the lighter recoiling "tactical" loads they make today.

Regards! DaMan

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited October 13, 2000).]

I just fired 5 1.5" Aguila 12 ga. slugs through my Mossberg 590. Bleah. One jam (round flipped and pointed straight up), and three did not want to extract.

I'd rather have fewer more powerful rounds that will work than more less powerful rounds that may not feed or eject.

ctdonath, did you check them for accuracy, or did their crappy cycling tick you off too bad? From what I've heard so far, I'm fully expecting to relegate my 1.5" Aguila shells to use in my single shot NEFs, that is IF I EVER GET THEM!!!!

I'm still waiting on my shipment from Coles! I ordered with credit card so they didn't have to wait for a check to clear. They also said they had the 7 1/2 shot IN STOCK!

I'm going to call Coles on Monday to see what the holp up is!

Regards! DaMan

If it won't feed, it won't hit the target.

I was focusing on close-range defense with a pistol-grip-only shotgun. Later I'll check accuracy with a 20" smooth barrel, stock, and ghost ring sights...only because I happen to have 15 of the buggers left.

If you're going to use them in a single-shot gun, you might as well use full-sized loads (cheaper, more power, etc.). The only practical use I can see for 1.5" rounds is in pump guns to increase the number of loaded rounds - in which case the gun most likely will need modification to reliably feed them.

Back