12 ga. Home Defense Shell?

Put up some plywood and see the differences in penetration of the different size shot. I will bet a trap load will bounce of plywood at 30 yds, at 5yds it will blow off limbs. In my life I have seen 3 men shot with shotgun. All accidents, happened loading or unloading. One death was slug, one #5s. The other guy lost a big chunk of meat out of his biceps.
I don’t believe in all the ammo hype either. Whether it be SD or hunting ammo. People with to much time on their hands obsess over that stuff. I go with plain #4 buck in shotgun and cast lead for all my revolvers & 45acp. Only jackets are 9mm.

It all depends...

What 12 Gauge shell you use for home defense will depend a lot on your own particular situation. I like the Federal flite control 12 Gauge 00 Buckshot. At very close ranges, like indoors, it stays together well, so the target will likely get the whole load. If used outside, it will pattern well out to at least 30 yards. There isn't much difference between Buckshot loads for most indoor situations but flite control starts to really shine at 10 yards. Flite control just gives you flexibility regarding effective shots at longer ranges. If over penetration is a key factor, then maybe #4 Buckshot.

Last edited:
Lots of good input from everyone. Do you live in an apt, close neighborhood? if so, I would stick to bird shot. 00 buck for us hillbillies who live among bears.
Side note: if you have dogs and the barking is getting louder, the bear is getting closer

T Buck

Perhaps a cogent case for high antimony lead T-Buck can be made.
Twenty caliber and 38 pellets to the ounce.

Unfortunately such a load is currently a handloading proposition. :eek:

It turns out that Paul Herrel has more information on this than you can shake a stick at. It's also fun to watch him shoot drywall and meat targets with birdshot and buckshot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaR1EVybUgc
Yes, buckshot goes through drywall, bird shot far less so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF5N5tfMuX4
What about waterfowl loads? 20 and 12 gauge steel duck shot. Yup. Fist sized holes in the meat target yet no overpenetration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0kLVBDThog
No. 6 pheasant loads vs Turkey loads... 20 and 12 ga.. which is better? Fist sized holes and a surprising result.

You can look at the mutilated meat targets and decide for yourself. And it's a guilty pleasure listening to Paul's dry sense of humor and watching the meat targets get splattered.

Birdshot is not for self defense.

If you are concerned about over penetration, you should be using a light weight high velocity rifle round. 55gr 5.56 does a great job, which is why most entry teams have dropped shotguns and subguns for it.

attachment.php

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/19875127_Shotgun_'birdshot'_wounds_to_the_neck

Attachments

• birdshot wounds journal of trauma.jpg
    birdshot wounds journal of trauma.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 117
I imagine since we’re in the shotgun forum we’re not anti shotgun for home defense. I know the tactical movement of the modern era has largely pushed away from shotguns. I live rural and besides the fact I live in a high crime area bears and cats are a big issue. I use a stoeger m3k for a go to home defense gun. I typically use 00 buck. If it weren’t for lack of being able to obtain it I would primarily use #1 buck. It’s alleged to be the smallest pellet that will meet FBI penetration standards. A normal 2 3/4” load holds 16 Pellets.

I’m not picky. I have a good supply of #4 buck and 00 buck, and I’d be happy using either. But my home defense Mossberg 500 is currently loaded with Federal #1 buck low recoil Flitecontrol.

distance

I have little doubt that a 12ga field load ( 1 -1/4 oz of shot, size #2 thru # 7-1 /2 ) would provide a STOP and likely prove lethal as well if delivered accurately and at 5 yards (15 feet). Smaller gauge, smaller shot, and less payload and I begin to have my doubts. I certainly would not want shot with the stuff at close range.

The issue with bird shot is distance. How does one know what distance their household incident will occur ? Five to seven yard shots or lesswould be common in and about the rooms of my home, but down the bedroom and washroom hallways approach 15 yards. At that distance the performance of fine shot is far different. The little pellets lose energy and velocity quickly at three times the ranges shot in the video. Too, the patterns/ dispersion from SD cylinder choked guns begins to broaden rapidly, landing not in a destructive swarm, but a much less damaging, open cloud. What about even greater distances, in your yard or driveway, or on the porches?

I see bird shot as a very niche alternative, limited to situations like motels or single room apts, and even then 12ga 1-1/4 ozfield loads with #4 shot at smallest. My house guns get buckshot, and if out and about in a vehicle (legally) slugs.

I see bird shot as a very niche alternative

Everyone's needs to make their own choices to best fit their specific situation.

I see it mostly as a niche alternative for those who do not think the average cost of a Self Defense shooting being ~20,000 USD is enough. It more for those who wish to have things complicated by ending up in extended litigation. I also see it as a potential major liability in a tactical situation if distance and cover is involved. As such I would have to do a very good risk assessment before loading it my shotgun and trusting the lives of my family with it.

I have a good supply of #4 buck and 00 buck

I agree in that #4 buck is the smallest round I would use for home defense. I prefer 00 buck in the gun and a couple of slugs in the carrier.

Every study based upon actual shooting engagements I have seen points too overpenetration is overblown. It is a risk but statistically you have a better chance of winning the lottery than you do of it becoming a factor in a home defense situation. That risk is further mitigated with a little planning and forethought.

There is little difference between a 5.56mm round and 00 buck in terms of raw penetration. There is a huge difference in stopping power.

No one has lost a firefight because they had too much penetration. Many a firefight has been lost because of a lack of penetration. Many a life has been lost when a wounded advisory retaliates. Many a court case has been dragged along expending treasure and emotional wear as the criminal tries to become the victim.

My feelings and experience say the safest thing for me and my family is to win the engagement and stop the threat as quickly as possible. Only then can we go about putting our lives back together after being victims of criminality. Ending the threat permanently, legally, and quickly works towards both goals in the fight and the aftermath.

Last edited:
I keep a Mossberg Shockwave loaded with #4 Buck minishells for home defense. Most people laugh until they actually shoot the gun and see what it can do at 20 yards or less (which will be the longest shot I'll need to take in my home).

Back