10rounds 45 or 17 round 9mm

bigbore45

Inactive
if you had a all out shoot out with a person that broke into your home would you perfer 10 round of 45acp or would you take 17 round of 9mm. IMO i would take the 10 rounds of 45acp because i can shoot both calibers good but the 45acp would probably do it with one hit in the torso. What do you think???

That all depends on the delivery device. I'm a .45 type of guy, but I'd take 17 rounds of 9mm in a Glock 17 over 10 rounds of .45 in a Hi-Point or Intratec any day of the week.

Neither.

I'd take 16 rounds of 10mm Silvertips from my Glock 20C +6" barrel. If 650 ft-lbs a pop isn't gonna fix my problem, "fixed" probably just isn't in the cards. :D

Seriously, that has more to do with how well I shoot the pistol and "incidental" stuff like muzzle flash (not much), recoil (suprisingly reasonable), reliability and accuracy (whoa Nelly!) than anything else.

And I'd probalby be counting on "only" 9+1 rounds of 10mm in my Colt Delta Elite if it wasn't at the gunsmith right now geting new night sights, etc. ... because I shoot it even better.

My point of view is use the tool you use best & don't sweat it.

Hello. I suspect that either would do well. You'll have likely solved the problem with less than 10 rnds or less in most scenarios. I think that with either, you'd run out of time before you ran out of ammo if the intruder couldn't be "stopped" with your first shot or two or three. If he's unarmed, he's going to hook 'em. If he's armed, he'll shoot back, perhaps hit or he'll leave.

Without all of the above, I'd go with the one I shot the best and had faith in.

Best.

CastleBravo:

You beat me to it. :)

Can't you get 16+1 from a G20 with a hi-cap mag with the +2? I don't know if it will give 2 but I am pretty sure it will give 1.

Ditto on the "Camp" comment

10 rounds of .45ACP will do the trick. If the BG is still there after 4-5 rounds, you should have plugged his butt already.

"I likes the 9MM but I be diggin' the .45ACP even mo"

Standard capacity for my G21 is 13 rds. 18 rounds is pretty nice, with my Grams extension. (Of course, I get 22 rounds our of my G17, with a THE Accessories extension.)

These figures are not including one in the chamber.

How about one round of cannister from an old Civil war artilery piece :)?

Seriously, though, 17 rounds of 9MM or 10 rounds of .45, doesn't much matter to me.

I would feel comfortable with either, though leaning towards the .45. The task at hand can be accomplished with both calibers, provided the person does their part.

In most cases that I have been in, within the first 3 shots you or the opponent are either running or dead ( they usually don't stick around). The second is your pistol should be a backup weapon in home defense. In other words, you use your pistol to get you to your rifle or shotgun which would be your primary weapon. So to answer your question, the 10 rounds is fine with me. .45, .40, and .357 SIG would be my choice caliber's.

How about 14 rounds of .40 S&W? That would be a good compromise. ;)

Given your scenario, I take 10 rounds of .45 ACP. If I cannot make a hit within 10 rounds, chances are I will be dead or dying anyway (from the BGs gun).

If you need 17 rounds to drop the perp, then you're in trouble. Back to the drawing board.....the range, classes, and church thanking god you're still alive, and haven't injured/killed any innocent bystanders. 10+ rounds of any caliber SHOULD be suffice. Obviously, go with the caliber and weapon that fits you most. Me, I would take the .45. I am more comfortable with a bigger round, with a well placed shot.

JJC

6 Full Power .44 Magnums in my tuned M-29.

But really I only need one!
icon_wink.gif

Believe it or not, we've actually had home invasions within fifty miles of where I live. Guess what? There are usually more than one guy involved in lots of predatory crimes. If you guys think that "10 rounds", etc., etc., are enough, then you must not have any problems with the mag ban.

I personally don't think that you can have too many rounds, if your life and/or the lives of family members/friends are at stake.

That 5-shot .454 would be just peachy, if I happened to be attacked by a deer or bear, but if I'm accosted by a covey of DemocRATs, I'd just as soon have a few more rounds at my disposal.

Although my personal philosophy is "it is better to have and not need than need and not have". Which in short means "more is better". I opt for the .45 ACP. That way if I can't hit the BG with 10 shots, hopefully he/she will be deaf as a door knob and I'll be able to sneek up on them and beat them senseless with my empty pistol.:D

Flattop

Back