10mm using Large Rifle Primers

10mm is a cut down rifle round

10mm may share a case-head or rim diameter with a rifle round, but it's not a cut-down anything.
Small primers were considered for the new cartridge, but the designers wanted to ensure it was considered a "large bore" round, so large pistol primers were specified.

So I found a small quantity of large pistol primers I did a test with a Chrono large rifle averaged 939 ft per second large pistol averaged 939.3 feet per second all cycled no problems but the large pistol seem to be more accurate. I did shoot those second so I might have been more used to the gun.

RoyceP said:
Here is the data for substituting Small Pistol, Small Rifle, and Magnum Pistol Primers for one another in pistol rounds.

It's the poop on CCI. It may be inapplicable to other brands. There is no industry standard for primer pressures and gas volume produced other than one brand competing with another to try to make similar things happen.

To sum it all up, do not substitute SPP for SRP or LPP for LRP at all, period. It is possible to substitute LRP for Small Pistol Magnum Primers in certain situations if the certified loading data supports it.

Have fun and stay safe
Mitchell

The statement in bold must be a typo.

It's the poop on CCI. It may be inapplicable to other brands. There is no industry standard for primer pressures and gas volume produced other than one brand competing with another to try to make similar things happen.
It's specific data, in terms of pressure, and is applicable to any pressure in any brand of primer for which pressure statistics with the powders tested are available.

Read what you said again.

^^^^THIS^^^^

I think he is in his own head and seeing what he meant and not actually reading what he wrote . I've done it several times , most resent was a specials menu at a restraint . I was sure it read omelet with spinach sauce . Read is several times to be sure I read it right and thought " never heard of spinach sauce before " I'll ask the waitress about it . When I asked her she looked puzzled as I pointed towards the board . She then turns to me and says , do you mean spanish sauce ? the second she said it spinach vanished and there was spanish clear as day but until she pointed it out I could not see it . I was only seeing what I wanted to see not what was actually written . I do it all the time proof reading my post before submitting . I know what I mean and that's what I see . I'll go back a day later and see several typo's and wonder how I missed them :o

We all had a laugh at the table about it and a couple of us admitted that happening in other circumstances . I think that's what's going on here . He's not reading that he wrote LARGE rifle can be substituted for SMALL pistol magnum . In his head it's SRP for SPM which is not what he wrote .

Last edited:
The video deals with substituting small rifle primers for small pistol primers. It is quite good data.

If there is something else that you are trying to do, I don't claim knowledge of that.

Over the years of being on gun forums and specifically involved with reloading sub-forums, I have read tons of threads where folks have ignored/challenged warnings from manufacturers and/or other reliable sources, when it comes to use of components or technique. Somehow after a century of metallic reloading by hundreds of thousands of folks, they have miraculously discovered something new and innovative that no one else has ever had the guts to try. They are like a modern day "Skeeter Skelton" or "Elmer Kieth". Somehow they know more than those folks actually involved in the design, development and safe manufacture of ammo and components, even tho they have only actually been reloading for a few years. The rest of us should surely jump on the bandwagon of their new and innovative development.

I understand the frustration of other reloaders. I too am stuck with tens of thousands of bullets, and hundreds of empty cases, simply because I only have 3-4 thousand primers of each variety on hand. With no relief of the current shortage in sight, other than paying a dime or more apiece. I too would love to find an easy solution that somehow everyone else in the reloading world has missed. But that ain't gonna happen unless I wish to ignore safety and reliability. One thing I would never do is to attempt to break in a new gun with ammo that is reloaded incorrectly, using improper components. While I too would be anxious to shoot a newly acquired firearm, I certainly ain't gonna risk destroying it with ammo I created using the wrong components. Did the OP get lucky and squeeze those oversized primers in the wrong size hole? Yep. Did he get to shoot his new gun with said ammo? Yep. Was it a smart thing to do? Apparently in the eyes of the OP it was. Just as was coming on a public reloading forum and bragging about it and proclaiming the rest of us have no idea.

Back