10mm pistols

Nightcrawler

I've been getting a little interested in 10mm. What pistols can you get chambered in 10mm? I know there's the Glock 20, but I don't think the G20 is for me, for the following reasons.

-Don't like the Glock trigger pull.

-I can't stand knowing that I SHOULD have 15 rounds but am limited to ten. I'm serious, this bothers me.

Now, to all you glock maniacs, these are my personal opinions, and I'm not saying the G20 is a bad gun. I'm adding this disclamer 'cause you fans of the Glock tend to get very testy when you think someone's questioning the Tactical Tupperware. ;)

So, what else is there? I prefer a full size pistol than can handle high pressure loads.

Nightcrawler, the G20 is the only pistol your gonna find in 10mm that has 15rd mags available. That the only Glock I've got now, and just for that reason. I bought it in December along with 2 factory 15rnd mags.

The Glock 29 is a mini-10mm.

You can still find Colt Delta Elites NIB, for around $650-1000 depending on model.

The Witness from EAA also comes in 10mm. Its cheap to.

S&W makes a 10mm revolver.

There are plenty of custom 1911s out there in 10mm, Les Baer, STI, Springfield, etc..., but be prepared to spend at least $1200

If you're looking for NEW, I think Glock MAY be your only choice except for some custom-built job. S&W used to make a 10mm, but I don't think they do any more. I don't keep up with EAA for this sole reason: I can't stand their ads.

Ben

Ben, there are several manufacturers other than Glock and EAA making 10mm handguns that fall within the "I prefer a full size pistol than can handle high pressure loads" decription Nightcrawler specified.

[Edited by BB on 03-14-2001 at 02:44 PM]

That's what I figured...

I suppose I could get used to the trigger pull. I've never fired a glock, so I can't be sure. But the 10 round magazines...I guess I can live with that. I'm not really so finacially well off that I can shell out almost $200 for a pre-ban fifteen round magazine. I'm curious though. How do the post-ban mags compare in construction to the pre-ban ones? I'm guessing the bottom of the magazine is just a hollow shell. Glock should make one of their slim-line models, as a full size 10mm with a single stack magazine. That'd be nice, and it'd be easier for shooters with smaller hands to handle the pistol.

The Glock 29 is a compact 10mm, and is built around the factory 10rnd mags. The mags are the same, although they are a little tighter with the last round. You may want to look at the Witness, they are under $350 and a good gunsmith can tune the heck out of the trigger, but you know what they say about getting what you pay for. Also, I found a stainless Colt Delta Elite in Atlanta this weekend in really good shape for $650 and I'm sure the owner would come down to $600 if youre interested.

I bought A Para Ordnance P-16 40 then found out that I can have a barrel made by Bar-Sto made in 10mm to put in it.
The magazines work fine and the gun holds 18+1 in the chamber.

I do have a P16 and it has been converted to 10mm with an Ed Brown drop in barrel. Okay, firstly the barrel didn't drop in but that's cool with me. Ed Brown fitted that puppy up for me and with 200 rounds through P16, the 18 round mags (+2 bumper) fed fine as did the standard 16 round mags.

IMHO, the P16 is the UBER pistol to have. Sure my G20 is great, but hey it is a little bit on the blocky side!

Derek

The Para is a gun I'm coveting, but right now, other than a Glock, or out of production S&W 10mm, the EAA may be the way to go. Check out the Colt DE though. I have one, and have really beat it up good, but it held up better than all the gun rags said it would, digesting over 5000 full power rounds before the hammer started following the slide, etc. It'll need some modifications if your planning on using lots of full power loads, but what 1911 doesn't need some mondifications.

You lose some 10mm punch, but if you can stand it, and hate to drop bucks on high-caps, the Glock 29 is a nice little gun. It's my nearly every-day carry gun, and feel quite well armed with 11 rounds of 10mm.

Tom

Besides Glock and EAA there is also Springfield Omega and SW 1006, 1076 and 1016.
Omega is a nice gun. I used to own a 6" ported slide and barel model. I traded it for customized Colt Officers and don't really regret it. Modern 10mm ammo is loaded pretty much to .40 pressures and original Norma rounds are hard to find. I do not reload, so my options were very limited.
I heard that CorBon is making high pressure 10mm load, but it is still not as hot as original Norma.

Para Ordnance

Para Ordnance hi-caps for their .40 run about $150, depending on where you look. Unlike the Beretta, S&W 9mm autos, and quite a few others, there are no after-market full-capacity magazines available (which, for the Beretta 92, for instance, run about $16 each)

I'm thinking instead of a 10mm I'd get a Springfield V-16 in .45 Super/.45 Auto. In stainless.

Oooh, shiny! :eek:

Let me throw in a vote for the Smith 10s. I have a 1076 that has been good to me. They are still available for cheap.

STI makes a 1911 style 10mm. I would highly suggest you check them out if you are serious about getting one. They are the best production 1911 gun made.

oktagon,

You can get hot 10mm ammo from not only Cor-Bon, but also Georgia Arms, Federal, Pro Load, Triton, Winchester, Hornady and CCI.

All make loads that exceed the hottest commercial .40 by margins ranging from ".40 +P" to ".40 Magnum".

I too...

am starting to want a 10mm. A question about 1911s, is the chamber fully supported? Will it handle +p loads, (also looking at a Kimber .45, will it shoot +p?)

Thanks

The S&W revolver is model 610. A six shooter with moon clips. A nice gun...

Drundel,

Actually, there is no such thing as a "+P" load in 10mm. Although most common 180gr loads are "-P" FBI-type stuff; until you've done some 10mm cartridge research of your own, a safe rule of thumb is that if the bullet weight is 180gr and it's not made by ProLoad, Cor-Bon or Hornady, then it's subsonic .40-level stuff (Which isn't inherently a bad thing, it's just not what you expect when you buy a ticket to 10mm-land). In a cartridge as long as a 10mm Auto, a 1911-type design will, by necessity, need a small relieved area at the top of the feed ramp which will leave a bit of the case web unsupported. But the 10mm cartridge (and brass) was designed from the ground up with a mean working pressure of 37,000 psi and a maximum peak pressure of 44,400 psi (.45 Super, by comparison, is at 28k); with factory ammo or reasonable handloads, you should be fine.

I second M16, STI ( http://www.stiguns.com ). They have several double stack models, the 2011 series, available in 10mm and they do have a fully supported chamber. Used high cap mags are available though they probably won't be cheap. With aftermarket basepads and followers you get get 20 rounds in a tube.

You can get Para P 16 full cap mags for about $60 or +2 mags for $70 at http://www.practicalshooting.com. The price list on the website was higher then when I talked to Mr Norris. Forget all those punk companies out there that are listing Para mags at $100 a piece!

I picked up 2 nickel +2 just recently and I don't believe that I could not be happier with the service from Practical Shooting. I received my shipment in two business days.

With 18+1 capacity in my 10mm converted P16, the mind WOBBLES! :D

Derek

Back