10mm Owners Tell me about your model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a question for you guys: For one's self-defense carry-gun, why would you beat it to death with thousands of full-power ammo?

I have two "social guns": a Lightweight Commander .45, and a Delta Elite 10mm. For practice with full-power, I'll use a different Gummint Model, and rebuild it as necessary. All of them pretty much shoot the same, feel the same, come out of the hoslter the same...

I have other handguns I shoot, as well as the social stuff. Sometimes with hot loads, mostly with plinkers. I love my RedHawk, but I don't like to beat myself to death...I'm mumbling about a Raging Bull; I've shot one, and it's easily controlled, but I'd shoot a lot more plinkers than 350-grain hot loads. (I don't care what ANYBODY says: The .454 is NOT as loud as a .50BMG!)

I guess I'm asking about y'all's shooting philosophy, since I've never had any notable problem with any of my Colt semi-autos...

Regards, Art

I know 1 person who carries a G20 for self-defense purposes. He's a large frame guy so he can hide it well. For most people, myself included a G20 would be too large for carry. The reason I'm interested in the 20 is because I like powerful guns. I also like to shoot a lot. This past year I fired about 4000 rounds in 3 different guns. Through the 1st 9 months I only fired factory loads. Now that I'm into reloading my consumption of ammo will go up. Therefore, I like the idea that a gun will last over 20K or even better with perhaps the recoil spring and/or magazine springs the only replacement costs.

If I carried everyday, I would buy two identical guns, break in the one I was going to carry with ~1000 rounds, hopefully with no malfunctions. This would give me some confidence in the model I'm carrying. I would use the other gun for practice/recreation. I don't think I could carry a gun I did not enjoy to shoot, so I would be putting some rounds through it and they would be medium to full-power loads.

------------------

Ho-Humm... Just another Glock 20 owner who is very happy!! Strangely, I shoot the G20 better then my G19, P-13s, PT99, Beretta 21A, and my Desert Eagle(a close second). Go figure.. you would think that I would shoot the smaller calibers better!

I use this gun for home defense. 15 rounds of Magsafe defender ammo... Ouch!

The only modifications made were Trijicon night sights (mandatory) and a Harrt's recoil reducer with a 19lb spring. Fired full power and the 180 grain "wuss" loads without any jams.

HAVE HAD BOTH. CURRENTLY HAVE A G20 IS VERY NICE. WOULD LIKE TO GET A G29.
AS FOR SHEAR ENJOYMENT TO SHOOT GIVE ME A DELTA ELITE. FULL LENGTH GUIDE ROD,SHOK BUFFS,RAMPED/POLISHED, LONG MATCH TRIGGER AND MILLET SIGHTS MAKE IT AN ACCURATE PISTOL. MY BEST RELOADS WERE 155/170gr JHP HORNADY AND ACCURATE ARMS 5 OR 7 POWDER.
WOULD LIKED TO HAVE TRIED A 6" PORTED BBL OR A COMP.

Most of you know that I carry a Colt Officers model. My favorite hand gun in the world is a combination of Colt parts that were put together in Meridian Miss for a ISPC shooter.
You know the drill.
Anyway, I got a Colt stainless U frame, A Delta blue slide bells and other things and had to send it off to Wilson for offset firing pin bushings because the fit was a bit too tight for me! Bushings because it came with the original slide and barrel and a compensated barrel and slide.
I wish I knew all off the detail but this is THE 10MM
Wish it was easier to haul around!
Hank "Shooting Norma Ammo"

Most everybody here has responded with rather expensive 10mm (glocks, Delta!) or out of production, hard to find guns (Bren) or the "best left alone" S&W semi-auto. I have two Witness 10mm with both having about 5-7K through them. Not one failure, and they are as tight as when I got them. And how can you beat the price, ~$325US. And they are very accurate with good (not excellent) triggers right out of the box.

great for pin shooting

How 'bout a Delta Gold Cup in S/S? That boy shoots better'n I do, and talk about the muzzle flash and report! I thought my Super 38 Gummint Model was something! Welp, just goes to show an old dog can learn new tricks! Regards,

------------------
Yankee Doodle

I own a 10 mm EAA Witness in basic stock form, I added one of their adjustable rear sights and found it a blast to shoot. I would say I have barely broke it in with over 2000 rnds in the last six months and have found it reliable and accurate. I would say the overall finish is very basic, but it is extremely solid and very reliable. I will be buying a second long slide version as soon as they bring it out this fall. I also have a witness 40 s&w and find the 10 much more fun to shoot. The 40 is so enemic compared to the 10 when stoked to seirra max loads.

I have a G20 and a G29 and they are my most favorite guns. I carry the G20 when camping and other times with a sport coat in a Mitch Rosen ARG. I carry the G29 or a G23 with lighter clothes. I have over 5000 rounds through the G20 and about 4000 rounds through the G29 and no malfunctions since the first 100 rounds. I would like to be able to shoot up to the accuracy of these guns but I love continuing to try at least weekly. I think the 10 mm is the most versatile round available in the wide spectrum of loads sold. I carry Winchester 175 gr Silvertips (I know the flash is bright) and 200 gr CCI Blazers for practice. Great guns and a great round. I hope interest continues and am encouraged to see new models being produced like EAA. Spread the word. Rumors of excess recoil are nothing but hype - I shoot the 10 mms better than I do the .40 S&W or the .45 ACP, both of which I have been attached to for years. :D

------------------
OJ
NRA LIFE MEMBER

A Glock M20 is my backup when hunting and I have a M29 that I carry concealed once in a while.
I'm looking for a Witness compact 10mm.

I wanted to add to OJ's remarks, I have a Les Baer 45, a witness 40 and a magnaported beretta 96 40S&W. I find that all but the witness 40S&W recoils more then my witness 10mm when loaded to max loads. Particularly the beretta 96, even ported, max 40S&W loads a quite "harsh". My Baer 45 with 230 hardball seems much worse then my 10mm with 180 FMJ's.

I really think the recoil issue is a bunch of hype by non-10mm owners. I find the 10mm to be much more fun to shoot then my 40's.

Pete

Also extremely happy with my G29 - with swaps of various barrels, springs, mags, sights, parts, & loadings, it's the world's most versatile handgun IMO. Think about it for a minute. What other pistol or revolver has the (1) capacity range, (2) power range/bullet choices, (3) size range and (3) ease of component exchange, like the G29, to handgun to handle almost all (a) concealed carry, (b) duty, (c) handgun hunting, (d) wilderness sidearm, and (e) competition -various classes, chores you might ask of it? Also, I cannot tell any discernible difference in recoil between it and the G30 with +P .45acps.

-Barrel & caliber options: 3.78" to 6" in 10mm, 40s&w, 9x25, & .224Boz (theoretically).
-Mag options: 10rd short (stock); w/shroud: 10rd long or 15 rd pre-ban (17 w/+2s).
-Bullet weights - 10mm: 135, 150, 155, 165, 175, 180, 200 (plus others in other calibers)
-Power choices: up to 200@1175 or 135@1450

Caveat is I've never tried other 10mms, so don't know if this helps much.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited August 17, 1999).]

I think the recoil on the 10mm (in a Colt Gummint Model) also is less than the 45, certainly no greater.

It just points up the wimp factor of non-10mm owners! No wonder so many call the 9mm Parabellum a wonder round!

The muzzle blast and flash, however, are awe inspiring for an auto pistol round!

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up... Yankee Doodle

I fired a G29 some months ago. I was at the range, practicing with a Smegma .40, and one of the other regulars (also an instructor) showed up with his 29.

I complained about the hellacious kick of my .40. He said, "You gotta try this. It's 10 mil."

I said, "10 mil in a Glock? That'll tear my hand off!"

"C'mon, try it."

Hey, if he's willing to pay for the ammo, I'll shoot it. He loaded up 5 rounds and handed me the gun and mag.

I put all 5, rapid-fire, into the kill zone of the target from 25 feet. Felt MUCH better than the Smith and had less muzzle flip.

I like it. Don't have one yet, and when I do get one it probably won't be a Glock, but a 10 is definitely on my list.

------------------
A vote for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil.
Vote Libertarian - For A Change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back