10mm or 44 mag for Georgia Deer

I took many, many deer with my 7 1/2" Ruger Redhawk. Upgraded to a .454 20+ years ago, but still used the .44 for Ohio deer until .454 became legal some years later.

10MM will certainly do the job, but finding factory loads with a more appropriate hunting bullet would be a lot more difficult for 10MM, while quality premium hunting ammo for .44 is readily available on the shelf.

Personally, I'd pick the 44mag all day over a 10mm. I hunt with a S&W 629 Classic with 8 3/8" barrel, carrying in a shoulder holster. I carry this revolver, and also carry my rifle for longer shots considering I have not scoped the 44mag.

I will add that the Ruger Blackhawk hunter mentioned earlier is also a great 44mag that will function very well in the field. I hope to add one to my collection before too long.

Whichever revolver you choose, if you plan to keep it I would recommend you get a trigger job done on it because that will obviously help you to make better shots.

God bless.

CR

Yet another vote for the 44 Mag. revolver, for hunting. :)

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk with a 9 1/2" barrel and a Sight Mark red dot that has impressed me with its' accuracy. Shooting a 240gr. SWC with 19.0gr. of 2400 will give me one hole groups at 25 yards.

I hit this 2 liter bottle of water at 57 yards, first shot. Yep...it's a deer killin' machine and not bad on coyotes either. :cool:

Bowhunter57

Back