10MM or 357 mag

PHARMACYJOE

Inactive
I love my COLTS Delta elite and Python 6 inch. this year I hunted with both (separate days). Urbancarry2 changed my carry from springfield xds to my full frame Delta elite. that holster is unreal with pants or even shorts.

post question is 10mm or 357. which and why if you can only have one.....

please don't answer UNLESS YOU OWN A 10mm. personally my 2 favorite calibers in handguns

I have both and would have to go with the .357 mag. Except for some exotic revolvers and carbine conversions, the 10mm is pretty much limited to semi-auto pistols. Ammo tends to be expensive and sometimes hard to find. Loads do range from 40 S&W level to true magnum.

The .357 can be had in all manner of single and double-action revolvers, rifles, and even some relatively rare semi-autos. Combined with the availability of ammo and ability to use inexpensive .38 spl., it wins going away. Loads range from anemic .38 spl. all the way up to "Ruger Only" magnums.

I love my Delta Elite but I would still have to pick the .357.

Depends on what I'm going to do with it.

Traipse the woods? .357 cause I can just cock my S&W 681 and lower the hammer and I've switched from snake shot to JHPs that fast. Another cock and lower and I have light powered .38s. And .357 and .38s are easy to find in any store. And it's still quite useful for self defense.

Just SD? 10mm baby. Probably a Colt Delta or even my Colt Series 90 .40 S&W 1911 (just drop a 10mm barrel and heavier recoil springs.)

Deaf

I vote 10mm.

I have a G29 and I have a 40sw and a 9x25 Dillon barrels for it. For plinking, a 40sw covers it. With a 9x25 Dillon Barrel, I have a very mean 357 "mag".

Normally I carry Underwood 10mm 200 XTP. :p

ETA: I have a non-captive 21# recoil springs in it which is a lot better than the stock 17# job. Handle the 40sw very well.

Can't really do that with a revolver. :D

Last edited:
I have both and from a practical perspective I'd keep my G29 if forced to choose just one. With the best loads a 4" 357 mag and a 4" 10mm pistol are virtually identical in performance with similar bullet weights. Published 357 mag data is from 8" test barrels and looks better on paper. Shoot those loads in a 4" or shorter barrel and the difference is significant.

With longer barrels 357 revolvers win and make a better choice for hunting. The longer barrel, better sights and trigger mean better accuracy along with more velocity and energy. But the longer, heavier guns are a disadvantage for what I do.

I don't handgun hunt. If I did the edge would go to a 357 mag. As it is my only 357 is a 4" Smith 28 that is kept more for nostalgic reasons than practical.

I do have both a G20 and G29 that are carried while backpacking or camping when in bear country. In a gun that size they will match anything of that size that a 357 will do and are much lighter and more compact. Which is a huge plus while backpacking and hiking. They can also be loaded with lighter 40 S&W level loads and become a very good option for protection from 2 legged predators.

Having 15-16 rounds vs only 6 is an important consideration when defending ones self from human or animal prey. Especially if you give up no performance to gain the extra firepower.

please don't answer UNLESS YOU OWN A 10mm.

I don't own one, but I did. The reason I got rid of it is because it didn't do anything better than my .357s did, other than go thru ammo faster and make brass harder to retrieve. Also, accuracy with my G20 was just "meh" compared to my .357 revolvers. Even reloading for the 10mm was more expensive than for the .357s. Proper hunting bullets are much harder to find for 10 mm as compared to .357 also. Having 10mm for another caliber, just did not make sense to me, especially when I had only one example to reload for. Dies for 10mm went to the same guy that bought the gun, and he still has them both. While the increased capacity was what originally motivated me to get one, the size of the firearm compared to my snubby .38 made so I carried it little anyway.

Just my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.(yep, 2 cents:D)

You mean we can't have an opinion about something we know nothing?
What kind of forum is this?

A pretty good one, but I agree with the sentiment.

I know lots about the moon, but I have never been there. I know lots about the 8th Air Force but I wasn't part if it. I know lots about pre-1970 NHL hockey, but I was born in '71.

I know folks with muscle cars that are quite ignorant of that subject. Their checkbooks did not impart knowledge.

I'd go 10mm, mostly because I have one!
I can't shoot DA revos nearly as well as SA autos, so I'm going to choose familiarity and confidence with the latter.
If I knew the situation was going to involve a precise shot at long handgun distances, then I might go for a long-barreled .357, shot single action.
For all-around use, when the target might be of either the two- or four-legged variety, definitely the Delta Elite.

You mean we can't have an opinion about something we know nothing?
What kind of forum is this?

Funny tho how the OP states,
please don't answer UNLESS YOU OWN A 10mm.

........BUT says nuttin' about having to own a .357 to reply when the choice is between a .357 and a 10mm. IOWs, limiting his replies to folks that own 10mms and allowing folks that own only 10mms to answer without giving folks that only own .357s the same chance. Makes one think he is looking for an overwhelming response in favor of 10mms. :D

I own a .357 and a couple 10MM - one of which is a Delta Elite. I intend to Whitetail hunt this year with the Delta Elite.

Nobody needs to own anything to know about 'em.
"...Colt Delta Elite..." Don't own one and would not. It's just a 1911A1 in a different chambering. Nothing special. Absolutely not worth the money demanded. $1500ish to 2 grand, up here.
The 10mm isn't anything special either. Doesn't do anything the .45 ACP will not for less money. Not by much money though.
Shot one when they first came out, long ago. Around 1988 or 89. Colt rep at a pin/plate match(great bunch of guys those Colt reps. Another guy, at Second Chance, let us play with his M16K.) provided the pistol and the Norma ammo(nothing else existed then). Even the rep said the Elite didn't compare to the assorted 'pin' guns at the match. No stock factory pistols would.
"...the choice is between a .357 and a 10mm..." Is an apples and oranges comparison.

How can you comment on a round you haven't shot?. Of course you know what others have told you, for example one post up talking about a delta elite costing 1500 to 2k. Got mine full gun shop retail 1099. Wrong on pricing. I don't or didnt want to here what someone heard , i wanted first hand knowledge and im getting some. Implied that you own both but stated 10mm only sorry 357 fans. Shtf im carring 10mm all day.

Of course you know what others have told you, for example one post up talking about a delta elite costing 1500 to 2k. Got mine full gun shop retail 1099. Wrong on pricing.

The poster you are referring to is from Canada and may be talking about a retail price difference there because of Canadian Currency.

How can you comment on a round you haven't shot?

How can you know the technical details by only having fired the round?

I touched on this earlier. Driving a '66 Corvette gives you no information about what N14 means.

10mm ammo has come down. 20c a bullet on ammoseek. I love both.

This is not true. The cheapest is $0.27 per round, with most in the $0.30 on up range. .40 S&W is in the $0.20 and under range though, which most 10mm firearms can utilize with often not much more than a change of barrels.

Back