10mm or 357 mag?

David spargenator said:
Which would you prefer ?

I like the 357 for several reasons. Ammo is readily available almost anywhere, while 10mm is scarce. My 357 firearms are S&W k-frames, which are very nice handling revolvers. I haven't handled any 10mm autos to know how they'd roll.

I have, or have had, .22s..25s,.32s,.380s, 9mms, .38s, .357s, 41s, .44s, & .45s. I haven't found anything in my life that the 10mm does that isn't already covered (on either end of any scale you choose) by what I already have.
What does the .41 do that can't be done by a 357 or 44?:rolleyes:

And how many rounds can you fit in the 41 or 357 vs the 15 rounds of 10mm in a semi-auto.

The 10mm's advantage is round capacity and size. Same size platform, The 10mm trumps the .357 and is about equal to the .41 all while being able to carry 2x-3x the ammo.

I've used 357, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 10mm for bowling pin shooting. All but the 45 were shot with revolvers (the S&W 610 will shoot 40 and 10 with moon clips). From observing the way the pins flew, none of the others came close to the power of the 10mm. 357 and 45 would move the pins off the table but the 10 would make them do a double back flip on the way off. The 40 was not in the same catagory, close to the 45 but not so much.

To be honest, the 10mm was hand loaded to full power: 180 gr. @ 1350 FPS (crono'd) and was shot from a 6" revolver. The 357 was also maxed out 158 gn. flat points from a 6" GP-100.

All depends what you want to do and if you reload. Full power 10mm is nipping at 41 mag power but it's hard to find that power commercially loaded except for Buffalo Bore or such and it's $$$$$.
The 610 is my go to gun when I want accuracy and power. Just fits me best.

What does the .41 do that can't be done by a 357 or 44

Honestly, nothing I know of. I mention the .41 because I had one, back in about 1980. Shot it a bit (Ruger Blackhawk), learned about the .41, and traded it off as that particular gun didn't meet my state's requirements for deer hunting. Sadly, a couple years later, that same gun would have been legal.

Haven't had a .41 since, no need, as you noted, either the .357 or the .44 will do what I need done, just fine.

Some people make a big deal over the .41s accuracy, others focus on "15%" less recoil than the .44 Mag.

There are dedicated .41 fans out there. I'm not one of them. If you are, enjoy!

There are dedicated .41 fans out there. I'm not one of them. If you are, enjoy!
Not really I don't think I've ever even shot one. It just seamed ironic to me since .41 and 10mm are both in a very similar nitch.
I'll also add that your post really puts a person on a slippery slope I mean if you have a 9mm and 45 for SD and 44 to cover hunting what do you really need the 357 for?

I own both S&W N framed 4" barreled .44 magnum and .357 magnum revolvers for field carry......never owned a 10mm yet ! I do think a nice 1911 chambered in 10mm would be a nice addition....who said anything about need when this would be about desire ! ;)

Well... walking in the woods, unless you are in real bear country, does not require a super powerful gun.

If you have a .357, carry it. If you have a 10mm, carry it.

But I can say it's easier, and cheaper, to find a good .357 than a good 10mm.

A used Ruger .357 can be found easy and around $400-500.

10mms though, cost more to buy and feed.

But it's up to you kemosabe. Either one will work fine.

Deaf

I own several .357 revolvers and one 10mm semi-auto. As others have stated, the .357 is much more versatile. It's my handgun of choice in the "if you could only have one handgun" threads that pop up regularly. I like my 10mm but I bought it mostly as an excuse to get another 1911. :)

A lot of over the counter 10mm ammo is loaded to 40S&W specs., but costs several dollars more a box. You can get the hot 10mm ammo, but it is more like a dollar a round. So plinking with a 10mm is gonna cost ya.

precision_shooter said:
LOL. You do realize the .40 Short and Weak would not exist without the 10mm?
10mm was created long before the short and weak was even dreamed of.

Well everybody knows that, or I hope they do.

So, the .40 doesn't do anything that the 10mm hasn't been doing for many years prior to it becoming a commercial cartridge. And the 10mm blows the .40 and .45 out of the water in terms of performance capabilities.

I would disagree with you. Is it more powerful than a .40 or .45? Yes. Does it blow them out of the water? Not really. I mean if you're comparing a hot loaded 10mm to a basic .40, for instance, then sure it looks that way. But when you compare a warm .40 to a warm 10mm (to make it more apples to apples comparison) there isn't that big of a difference. Simply put, if you took a .40 and a 10mm, loaded them with the same powder (say something kind of slow burning since those powders produce the best ballistics), used the same bullet and shot them out of the same length barrel (oh, and loaded them both to the same pressure), there would be very little difference between them, likely less than 100 fps.

For power, I believe the .357 Mag slightly edges out the 10mm, plus it does so using bullets of higher sectional density. Add to that, the 10mm is nowhere near a .41 Magnum. A hot 10mm is around low end .41 Mag specs, but a .41 Mag provides ballistic domination over the 10mm because of its ability to shoot bigger, heavier bullets at higher velocity. With the 10mm vs. .40 the only difference is velocity, so anyone could very accurately say the 10mm is more like a .40 S&W than it is a .41 Mag.

10mm all the way. Honestly I don't think the .357 is good for any one thing. Although it may work, in every application there is a better choice.

As far as self defense purposes, all the .357 is doing is adding a couple hundred FPS to a .38 special or 9mm bullet. If you think 200fps will be the difference between saving your life, then go for it. But 200fps does not make up for the extra recoil, noise, muzzle flash, and limited capacity. I can put shots on target quicker and with more accuracy with a 9mm or .38 over the .357. To me that is far more important than gaining 200fps. Not to mention, when I can get a 9mm with a 15-20rd capacity in a smaller and lighter package than a 6 or 7 shot .357, the 9mm is a no brainer.

As far as hunting goes, anything a .357 will do a .45 Colt, .44 magnum/special, or .41 magnum/special will do a whole lot better.

Last edited:
Are you planning the gun as one more among many or as a starter gun? If the latter, both those calibers are hot and heavy but also expensive and loud. What are you going to do while hiking? I know you probably want all the noise and blast you can get, but I always carried a K-22 in the woods for plinking; it would kill small game and, if necessary, would be adequate for defense. For the backyard, (assuming you live where you can shoot in your backyard), the .22 will be a lot less of a noise problem and more fun for family members than a gun with a loud noise and possible ear damage.

Now if you already have .22's and other guns and you hike somewhere that you might run into a large nasty critter, then even a .357 might not be enough. But in much of the country, I think you will find that either the 10mm or the .357 is overkill.

Jim

They are, for the most part, equal. If you need more penetration or flatter shooting, the .357 MIGHT give an edge. If you need more power and a bigger hole to begin with, or higher capacity, the 10mm MIGHT give you the edge. They are so close, the barrel length, how they are handloaded, or capacity are probably the only serious variables.

Last edited:
To me it is a decision to chase your brass or not?

Both guns are about he same power level in my mind. I can get more shots out of a 10mm but then again I have to chase more pieces of brass with a 10mm.

If you reload, then this is a driving decision.

As a reloader, even though I love the 10mm, I have at least 2 357 Mags for ever 10mm I own.

I grew up on S&W .357/.44 mag revolvers and 1911s. If I go it the woods I carry a Glock 20 or a M1006. In a standard length barrel, a.357 mag in any weight won't match the 10mm loaded with proper loads. While .357 loading is more readily avail. I plan ahead. (Underwood Ammo) Recoil in most revolvers loaded hot can be hard on the hands.:eek: Glocks and Model 1006 not so bad.:D While 1911s are great, not really designed to last under hard 10mm loads. Broke a Delta using Norma 200 grain years ago, yes they have improved the pistols but still won't match the 1006 and Glocks for longevity. 1006s are harder to find, Glocks hold 6 more rounds and weight is less. Only the SW40/500 mags give more total muzzle energy. 16x700+ft lbs. At more recoil:rolleyes: You Decide!:)Good Luck with your decision either way:D

Back