10mm Magnum

Those changes along with an aggressive marketing campaign can get not just 10mm Mag moving off shelves, but 10mm Auto too. Enough to the point people will be asking what the point of .41 Magnum is anymore.

Ruger could easily have chambered the current 10mm Super RedHawk in 10mm Magnum, and had a 3-in-1 gun using the same moon clips rather than a 2-in-1 gun.

For merely shooting 10mm or 40S&W, the 54oz weight of a SRH frame, with its 6.5" barrel, is overkill.

Ruger SRH, model 5524 in 10mm AUTO
https://ruger.com/products/superRedhawkStandard/specSheets/5524.html

Nope, the only reason to offer a SRH in 10mm is in anticipation of customers taking the further step of having the cylinder converted to fire the more powerful 10mm Magnum cartridge. Otherwise, for any level of 10mm AUTO ammo, the GP-100 frame is sufficiently strong, not to mention being of a more 'practical' size.

Basically Ruger chose to let a 10mm SRH buyer decide whether to send the gun off to a wheelgun 'smith - like Hamilton Bowen or Gary Reeder - for 'conversion' of the cylinder chambers to 10mm Mag specs.

The other problem with Ruger's 10mm revolver trio (which includes the GP-100 Match and 3" Wiley Clapp model) is their use of proprietary moon clips, which are pricey little buggers as well as flimsy, rather than just adapting the cylinder to use the same 6-rd 10mm moon clips that fit the S&W 610s. Those clips are plentiful, durable, and inexpensive. (Ask me how I know ;) ).

Last edited:
I did a little "detective work" and found out about the .401 Herters PowerMagnum, so a 10mm Magnum revolver could conceivably fire 4 different cartridges, also the Automag IV was originally chambered for the 10mm Magnum.

silvermane_1 I did a little "detective work" and found out about the .401 Herters PowerMagnum, so a 10mm Magnum revolver could conceivably fire 4 different cartridges, also the Automag IV was originally chambered for the 10mm Magnum.

Correct regarding the IAI AutoMag IV.

Last year we had a similar discussion about the 10mm Mag and the old Herters 401 PowerMag ... with links to more info. See TFL member Porklard's interesting thread here:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595607

Back