10mm Magnum

Andy1

I have a Glock 40 gen4 on order. This will be a holstered sidearm for hiking, fishing and camping. Concealed carry isn't an issue. I'm planning on getting a KKM 7" threaded barrel. Now I'm thinking about a 10mm magnum conversion because of the barrel length. Would the conversion be worth it given the use it'll get? Where could I get the conversion done at anyway? I only know of Double Tap as the only place that carries 10mm magnum ammo.

10mm Mag won't fit, but it's something you could do in a Blackhawk .40/10mm, but yeah it's far too long to fit in a Glock.

Yeah, the 10mm Magnum won't work in the G40 even if you had the chamber reamed for it or had someone make a one-off custom barrel due the inability to use the 10mm magazine. The 10mm Mag's COAL is too large.

Where a 10mm Mag 'conversion' can be done, however, is on a 10mm wheelgun, like the S&W 10mm 610s. Many were converted when it became known to 610 owners that various revolver-smiths, such as Hamilton Bowen and Gary Reeder, could ream out the chambers of the cylinder to 10mm Mag specs. A 610 owner then received back a 3-in-1 wheelgun: 10mm Mag, 10mm, and .40S&W.

Ruger's line of 10mm revolvers are another option, like their SRH model (overkill for the 10mm, but probably the strongest frame for stepping up to the 10Mag), or the 10mm GP-100 (likely still strong enough for the 10Mag).

Last edited:
Why not just go to 41 mag?

I have a S&W Model 58. Great wheelgun, love it to death. Will never sell or trade it.

That said, until the .41 Special came along, all .41 mag revolvers were just one cartridge guns.

If converted to 10mm Magnum, a 10mm revolver instantly becomes a versatile 3-in-1 gun. All three cartridges - 10mm Mag, 10mm, & .40S&W - can be loaded and fired using the same 10mm moon clips. But that's the versatility benefit ...

If you study John Taffin's early research and reloading work on the 10mm Magnum, when he was testing the cartridge with IAI's semi-auto pistol, the Auto Mag IV, you'll see the 10mm Mag actually yields slightly better ballistics than the .41 Mag with similar bullet-weights.

And that was in an autoloader where COAL is restricted for reasons of magazine fit as well as chambering. In a revolver, you have a bit more leeway to 'long-load' the bullets, so you can actually achieve more velocity with less pressure.

Many S&W 610 owners were doing just that with the 10mm AUTO cartridge which ordinarily has a max COAL of 1.260 in semi-autos. In the 610 revolver, users have posted about long-loading their 10mm rounds to 1.300, 1.350, and longer COALs in order to increase the powder charge under the bullet without ramping up the pressure.

Taffin concludes:

The 10mm Magnum has definite applications as a hunting pistol and a long range silhouette pistol. Shooting informally at long ranges of 100 to 200 meters and using rocks as targets convinced me of this. Anything the .41 Magnum can do, the 10mm Magnum can also do and perhaps do it even a little faster and a little better. That is a tough confession for an old sixgun man to make.

More here: http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt10mag.htm

:cool:

Last edited:
I have a S&W Model 58. Great wheelgun, love it to death. Will never sell or trade it.

That said, until the .41 Special came along, all .41 mag revolvers were just one cartridge guns.

If converted to 10mm Magnum, a 10mm revolver instantly becomes a versatile 3-in-1 gun. All three cartridges - 10mm Mag, 10mm, & .40S&W - can be loaded and fired using the same 10mm moon clips. But that's the versatility benefit ...

If you study John Taffin's early research and reloading work on the 10mm Magnum, when he was testing the cartridge with IAI's semi-auto pistol, the Auto Mag IV, you'll see the 10mm Mag actually yields slightly better ballistics than the .41 Mag with similar bullet-weights.

And that was in an autoloader where COAL is restricted for reasons of magazine fit as well as chambering. In a revolver, you have a bit more leeway to 'long-load' the bullets, so you can actually achieve more velocity with less pressure.

Many S&W 610 owners were doing just that with the 10mm AUTO cartridge which ordinarily has a max COAL of 1.260 in semi-autos. In the 610 revolver, users have posted about long-loading their 10mm rounds to 1.300, 1.350, and longer COALs in order to increase the powder charge under the bullet without ramping up the pressure.

Taffin concludes:

More here: http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt10mag.htm

:cool:
I remember a review Taffin did on the 10mm Auto, but not the 10mm Magnum.

Just wondering if you have taken a look at 45 Super or 460 Rowland. Both deliver fairly respectable velocity and energy.

No ... Just no.

Never seen a wheelgun chambered for those cartridges, and even if there were, you've still only got a one-cartridge gun.

Booooorrrring! :rolleyes:

No ... Just no.

Never seen a wheelgun chambered for those cartridges, and even if there were, you've still only got a one-cartridge gun.

Booooorrrring! :rolleyes:
^I'm sure you have seen wheelguns that chamber at least 1 of those, the Ruger Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk that have 45LC with the 45 ACP conversion cylinder, 45 Super has the exact same dimensions as 45 ACP.

^I'm sure you have seen wheelguns that chamber at least 1 of those, the Ruger Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk that have 45LC with the 45 ACP conversion cylinder, 45 Super has the exact same dimensions as 45 ACP.

Well, Ruger's dual .45acp/45LC I have seen. I think it was a RedHawk.,

The .45 Super I've only seen one pic of, and that was some sort of 'converted' Glock, not a revolver.

460 Rowland? Heard of it. Never saw it chambered in a wheelgun.

Well as another member posted, 10mm Mag wheelgun could shoot 3 different cartridges, 44 mag only 2 and 10mm/40 cal would most certainly have less recoil than a 44 mag.

Certainly not less recoil than a 44 special. If you are recoil adverse then why are you trying to wring out the most from ANY magnum cartridge.

The semi auto may or may not work with three cartridges depending on springs, feeding angles etc. You forgot the 44 Russian............

10mm Magnum has potential, just not in a semi auto pistol. Rifles you could make a case for it, but .450 Bushmaster will always be more powerful and easily work in AR mags. It's revolvers where the 10mm Mag has its best possible future because it can shoot .40 and 10mm with clips.

There are improvements to be made with the 10mm Mag that need to be made tho, IMO, before it can ever become popular enough to the point revolver manufacturers start making revolvers for it tho.

1. The case does not need to be rimless, it should be rimmed.
Given that the guns it will be shot in will be revolvers, there's no point in making it a rimless case. Moon clips are overrated, they get bent easy, they can be a PITA to load and remove cases from. That said, in order to shoot 10mm and .40, the cylinders will have to be cut for clips, so the option of using a rimmed 10mm Mag or a rimless 10mm Mag is there for the shooter.

There's no demand for a rimmed 10mm Mag case, there's also no demand for rimless 10mm Magnum either, this stuff won't happen unless Ruger or S&W work with an ammo company to have them start making such brass.

2. The bullets should be roll crimped, not taper crimped.
Again, use in revolvers means using roll crimps will prevent crimp jumping and also allow use of specific bullets meant for 10mm Mag velocities. The biggest issue with 10mm Auto currently is it uses the same bullets that .40 does and .40 is a lot slower than 10mm, so the factory defense ammo is downloaded to work around those velocity differences.

Making proper bullets that work with roll crimps means 10mm Mag owners won't be stuck with .40 level velocities when using JHP's.

Those changes along with an aggressive marketing campaign can get not just 10mm Mag moving off shelves, but 10mm Auto too. Enough to the point people will be asking what the point of .41 Magnum is anymore.

Back