10mm Full Size double-stack RIA vs EAA?

I had a double-stack Rock Island 1911 in .45 acp. It looked like the previous owner has stored it loose in a toolbox in the back of a pickup or something. It looked like hell but it functioned flawlessly and ate whatever I fed it. That left me with a good feeling towards the company.

I only sold it because I prefer DA/SA. Some of the 10mm EAA models come in DA/SA. Either one of those or the 10mm P40L from Grand Power is on my wish list.

As far as being a big gun or having a long barrel, I think that's a good thing. If you are going to the trouble of shooting 10mm, you might as well make the most of it.

A little late to the party but here's my 2 cents.

Upfront, I have no experience with EAA Tanfoglio pistols and so can't comment on them. I do have experience with Glocks and a lifetime (so far) carrying and shooting 1911s.

My son has a RIA 10mm. It's a heavy beastie which tames the recoil of the 10mm. My son and I both found that the right paddle of the ambi safety could inadvertently be pushed up by contact with our firing hand. I replaced it with an EGW single side safety. I attempted to fit an EGW sear to the pistol but found the geometry of the pistol is slightly different than Colt/Springfield/JEM/Caspian/etc frames. The difference did not allow a simple swap of the sears. I had very little time available to do anything more than identify the issue, put the EGW sear back in the bag, and use a TR jig to get rid of the creep in the RIA sear.

Even though the pistol runs fine it ejects brass into low earth orbit despite the fitting of an EGW flat bottom firing pin stop, an EGW heavy duty extractor, a 22lb recoil spring, and a 26lb mainspring. Just the nature of the beast. Personally, I think the 10mm is too much for the 1911. I think the platform tops out with the 9x23.

A couple of years after getting the RIA he got an XDm 10mm with a 5" barrel. In my estimation it's much better suited to shooting lots of 10mm full house loads and this is from a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 fan boy.

I strongly recommend a Springfield XDm 10mm. I'm a 1911 guy through and through but after spending some time shooting my son's XDm 5.25" 10mm I would choose it hands down over any Glock. The XD has a far superior trigger, period.

In my opinion, the XDm also has better ergonomics than the Glock.

Recoil with Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman 220gr hardcast ammo was unremarkable when compared to a Rock Island TAC Ultra FS which has noticeably more recoil and muzzle flip.

If I ever got the hankering for a 10mm, I'd get one of these XDm pistols.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xdm-5-25-10mm/#XDM952510BHCE

I don't have a 10mm, but I have a full-sized Witness in 45acp and a double-stack RIA 1911 in 40 calber.

They're both nice pistols. If you like SA/DA, the Witness is great. If you like 1911's, the RIA is a good shooter.

My RIA has a matte finish that wears and scratches easily. It's too big for people with smallish hands. Mine are XXL and I shoot it well.

The Witness is on the large side too. I like its CZ75 ergonomics a lot.

I like them both. It's win/win.

Back