10mm AR

I wonder if weight may be added to the bolt carrier to make it a reliable blowback? A bolt carrier (minus the bolt) the weight of a short Glock slide should work.

I wonder if weight may be added to the bolt carrier to make it a reliable blowback? A bolt carrier (minus the bolt) the weight of a short Glock slide should work.
Of course, in terms of delay enough for the pressure to drop, but the weight becomes excessive, thus; unpleasant to shoot, tolerances need to be loose, wear increases. It has been done, and blowbacks for artillery have even been done. But there are better systems for firearm actions once you get past 9mm.

Catastrophic failure behavior is also a big "unknown." Lacking a DI gas system--presumably ALL that over-pressure is going to be driving that big carrier mass straight back at your face which is inches away from the chamber.:eek:

MarkCO, is your bolt a proper ratating bolt or just gas operated? RMW Extreme is light on pictures and descriptions.

Not to get too far afield, but how different are the internals of a 9mm MP5 and a 10mm MP5?
Was that a major reengineering, or "just" a heavier bolt and springs?

The 10mm is going to be closer to a 40S&W in case and bolt face dimensions--and is MUCH more powerful than a 9mm. The lowers are set up to the same presentation of a Glock magazine--IMO you cannot necessarily expect the 10mm to feed in the same way or as reliably as the 9mm. Case support issues are the same as they would be in a pistol for the 10mm--but now your basically "swatting" the cartridge in from a Glock mag that is not "presenting" the cartridge close to the chamber face--and it's going in at an exaggerated angle at that. You need that big carrier mass to perform alignment duty when the angled cartridge meets the exaggerated radiused chamber opening--sorta like a big forcing cone on a revolver.

Until the "slavery" to the idea of a pistol cartridge AR MUST use Glock mags interchangeably with pistols--these fundamental issues will never go away IMO. If someone can point out even ONE LE or military unit that uses a 10mm Glock and AR where this is mandatory--I'd sure like to hear about it.

Sorry, I was talking about H&K MP5 that was modified from 9mm to 10mm for FBI use in the 1980s; how much work was reguired to make the change?

I made a cylon themed rifle a while back. All polished mirror style with a gloss finish from cerakote. Found a company that makes aluminum buttstocks and used the gloss anodized Hogue pistol grip.

MarkCO, are you a Deadpool fan or just coincidence? Hogue I think makes a pistol grip in red.
Never seen Deadpool. I do have three of the Hogue red grips. One is on my Precision 10/22, one on my .224V and one on my 3Gun AR.

Red, Black and Silver are my colors. About half of my cars have been Silver, several deep red too.

I’m in Washington so not much three gun here and then add a 5 yr old and a 2 yr old equals not getting out much. Deadpool is awesome, if you like violence and vulgar self referential humor.

Back