10mm and Accurate No. 7

* * * 200 @ 1000fps was the original spec for the 10mm cartridge, and that's still a great spec for a self-defense round.
Wrong.

"200gns @ 1000fps" was Jeff Cooper's desired minimum impact velocity at 50-yds.

A muzzle velocity of 1200fps pretty much gets you there.

1050 will get you there.

Blue dot is very good 10mm powder and prolly one of the more reasonably priced powders. When loaded to near max load it burns very clean

I have tried several 10mm powders and bullet combo's myself.

My latest is a 220 gr plated rn out of an 8" cmmg banshee that I had to tame down due to a not fully supported chamber and ripped off casheads. This peaks out at 1,150 fps.

But my heavy load is a 200 grain nosler hp out of a 5" ruger sr1911 at 1260 fps and 1290 fps out of a 5.5" glock 20 and 5.5" alpha wolf barrel.

I use longshot on my stout loads, it performs well, burns clean, and as a pretty linear increase in velocity for each increase in powder. The chambers of my pistols are tight enough that even at those velocities, the case will still fit in a chamber checker (though I only do those loads in new brass, after that they go in the 180 grain 1100 fps plinker bin.

BlueDot is an excellent powder for the 10. When I had one, BD was the most accurate powder and gave the 180XTP almost 1300 fps. Its only downside was metering. Never tried AA-7, odd because I have used it for years.

My brother has a Glock 20. Years ago I bought a pound of WSF. I hated it. No test load for whatever caliber I had grouped well with it. I was thinking of making fertilizer out it. Then, I thought I'd try it out on my brother's 10mm. WSF is great for 10mm. Not only was the groups excellent, but my brother said it turned heads at the indoor shooting range because it was so loud and you could hear the bullet hit the backside. I don't know about the energy but it grouped well. That's just my experience.

I've not tried AA7 for 10mm but I'm currently working with AA9 and a 200gr XTP. 1251fps for a 200gr is moving on and with my pistol, bullet, powder combo I have room to move up in charge weight.

Back