105 Amax in a .243 Win

75 and 87gr Hornady VMAX shoot to the same POI and .5" in my 700 with ERShaw Barrel with a 9" twist. I bought a couple of boxes of 95gr Federal Fusion to have my Smith throat and test. They shot .5", too.

Years ago I was shooting a Remington 700 sps Varmint in 243 win with the same twist rate. Also using the 105 Amax and H4350. I had no problems stabilizing that bullet. In fact it shot very well. Sub half minute groups were the norm.

OP, it is possible that your new barrel will stabilize the 105 Amax. You'll never know until you try.

What is it that you want the Amax to do that any one of the many match grade 95-100 grain 243 bullets won't do?

Drantab I tried in the new barreled Rem700..8" groups at 50 yards.

I got a box just to try them out...they were one sale. I had read that some had good results with them so I took a chance.

Results can be surprising at times. My Ruger American in 243 does fine with 100 gr bullets, but won't produce something resembling a group with 105 gr. HPBT Match bullets. The extra length and mass combine to de-stabilize the match bullets even in the case of my 1 in 9" twist barrel. Berger's bullet stability calculator even suggests as much, recommending a 1 in 7.75" or faster twist for that HPBT Match bullet.

So what do you hope to gain by going to a 105gr bullet over a 100gr bullet? It's always been my understanding that the twist in 243 is just fast enough to stabilize the 100gr bullet and in some rifles lighter bullet's do shoot better. Seem's an easy fix t me, get different bullet's!

Rem 700s in 243 and 6mm do their best with 85/87 gr bullets. I forget the knock but when Win came out with 243, Rem came out with 244. They had bad rep and Rem changed twist and reintroduced as 6mm Rem. I had 700v 6mm that shot best with Speer 75hp. Rem was always sucking up the rear. When they tried to one up Win they lost. They were better off when they came out with their own cartridge.

Back