103 years ago

Awesome!
Wonder what the actual round count is and how many...we’ll never mind.
Absolutely beautiful piece of history!

One of m6 1911’s (176472) is in a similar condition to the OP’s however I cannot trace the history of it other than being delivered to the Brooklyn Navy Yard presumably for shipment to the European theatre. I have another that came along later but shows every bit of being “used hard and hung up wet”, that is the pistol that I wish could talk to me about its exploits. My DCM 1911a1 was shipped to me in 1963 From Red River Army Depot when the matching Colt was listed as “unserviceable” even though like new and cost a whopping $17.00.

gorgeous

Nice, very nice indeed. I am surprised that it was deemed necessary to ship 1000 pistols to the Philippines. With trench warfare in full swing in Europe, I had always read, and under the impression, that handguns 1911/1917 were in great demand "over there". So the Army sends a significant quantity to the Pacific?

Beautiful!
I had one just like it, but a year newer. In just about the same condition.
Had being the key word on influencing my rule #1.

Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

I feel your pain. Many years ago I had to sell off a great many really nice firearms/bayonets/fighting knives in order to finance my last divorce. While I have regretted getting rid of my stuff, I feel they went for a good cause.....freedom!

I adopted your first rule about twenty years ago and no longer have to regret getting rid of my guns because once I get something, I keep it forever. Once in a while I do pick up a gun to use as trade bait and on a rare occasion I will get a gun that just doesn't light my fire, but since I am only interested in old military weapons, I know what I like and pretty much just stick to that.

From time to time I'll try and post up some of my more unusual guns so folks over here can experience some of the variety that is out there.

highpower3006
Getting rid of that 1911, and most others in the past wasn't a need, as much as a want. At the time, it wasn't a bad trade. Being a shooter, not a collector I knew something else would be a better fit. S&W had just came out with their first stainless steel 45acp pistol, the 645. got an even trade for what was at the time equal value guns. Little did I know that the government would ditch the 1911, and their value would go through the roof!
Although the price probably quadrupled on the Colt, it was probably best for both me, and the gun that it went to a collection to be preserved in great condition, and I got a great shooter that after thousands of rounds is still running great.

I should have never opened this thread. Just when I was starting to think I don't need any more guns guess what I want now?

Great looking guns guys. Color me green.

Back