100fps

sako2

I'm loading 61.9gn of magnum in a 6.5 prc with hornady brass remington 9 1/2m primer hornady 140gn bthp. Tried some Norma brass that is 20gn lighter and 1gn more internal volume. Lost 100fps with the Norma brass.

I'm loading 61.9gn of magnum in a 6.5 prc with hornady brass remington 9 1/2m primer hornady 140gn bthp. Tried some Norma brass that is 20gn lighter and 1gn more internal volume. Lost 100fps with the Norma brass.
I would step powder up until I got my 100 fps back or saw a pressure sign.

I did go up to 63.1gn and didn't get it all back. The Norma cases were new and the hornady have about 20 firings on them. None of them show pressure signs and 63.1 is 7 tenths over max data.

I don't shoot the 6.5 PRC--but I do shoot the 25 PRC which is necked down from the 6.5. I personally think venturing into slow-burning fine ball magnum powders in the PRC at high capacity volumes and lighting them off with magnum primers is asking for trouble. I don't know about your barrel, but mine is filthy with fouling after firing high capacity magnum loads. Your loads are past where I would go even if you're not seeing pressure signs. I've taken apart 6.5 PRC cartridges from 3 different manufacturers and they all used a stick powder which while I don't know what they actually are I'm willing to bet they are faster non-magnum powders. I've had primer pockets get stretched after just 2 shootings with magnum loads not as warm as your top loads.

The PRC brass itself is tricky stuff to work in my experience and I found that I have to pay very close attention to just how much shoulder movement there is between unfired and fired cases, I keep those tolerances at no more than .003, preferably closer to .002. Bumping the shoulder back is tricky with the PRC, it seems to have a weak spot at the junction of the base of the shoulder and main body and can form a ring if you're not careful, which in turn can stop cartridge from headspacing correctly on the shoulder.

Just my personal experience and opinions.

Last edited:
I only bump the shoulder back a .001-.0015. My primers pockets are good. The hornady cases have 20 firings on the. At 61.9gn I'm at 2950fps.

Did you anneal the cases the same as the Hornadys? If your case necks are softer on your Hornady brass from annealing. you may be getting a better bullet grip / more neck tension than the newer brass. which may increase your FPS. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
What is the case volume? Around 30gr of H2O? 100fps out of 3000fps is about 3% . Sounds a lot but not that much in terms of percentage.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cases where annealed. Sized with a Whidden bushing die. Case volume was 60gn h2o on the hornady and 70gn on the norma.

Cases where annealed. Sized with a Whidden bushing die. Case volume was 60gn h2o on the hornady and 70gn on the norma.
That's 17% difference in case volume. Are you sure? In the original post, you said the case difference was 1 grain H2O, not 10.

-TL

I don't shoot the 6.5 PRC--but I do shoot the 25 PRC which is necked down from the 6.5. I personally think venturing into slow-burning fine ball magnum powders in the PRC at high capacity volumes and lighting them off with magnum primers is asking for trouble. I don't know about your barrel, but mine is filthy with fouling after firing high capacity magnum loads. Your loads are past where I would go even if you're not seeing pressure signs. I've taken apart 6.5 PRC cartridges from 3 different manufacturers and they all used a stick powder which while I don't know what they actually are I'm willing to bet they are faster non-magnum powders. I've had primer pockets get stretched after just 2 shootings with magnum loads not as warm as your top loads.

The PRC brass itself is tricky stuff to work in my experience and I found that I have to pay very close attention to just how much shoulder movement there is between unfired and fired cases, I keep those tolerances at no more than .003, preferably closer to .002. Bumping the shoulder back is tricky with the PRC, it seems to have a weak spot at the junction of the base of the shoulder and main body and can form a ring if you're not careful, which in turn can stop cartridge from headspacing correctly on the shoulder.

Just my personal experience and opinions.
With the powder advancements, shape now means nothing.

With the powder advancements, shape now means nothing.
you mean dimensions of the case? I've tried several slow-burning spherical magnum powders and found they do not perform especially well in my 25 PRC compared to faster powders like 4350 and 4955. While not strictly shape dependent--the necking down to 257 does make it a serious overbore.

you mean dimensions of the case? I've tried several slow-burning spherical magnum powders and found they do not perform especially well in my 25 PRC compared to faster powders like 4350 and 4955. While not strictly shape dependent--the necking down to 257 does make it a serious overbore.
I mean shape of powder. Ball vs extruded. I do agree about burn rate. The 6.5 Prc is not overbore enough for the slowest powders.

Tangolima it was 69gn h20 in the hornady and 70 in the norma. My mistake.:rolleyes:
That sounds more reasonable. That's 1.4%, half of percentage difference in MV.

I noticed similar thing in my 5.56 load. The variation in case volume, even same brand and same date code, can easily change the MV by 75fps. Sounds a lot in fps, but only a couple of percent around the mean. It has become normal to me. In order to reduce the variation, I started sorting brass by weight. It helps.

The other often overlooked factor is temperature. Each degree F can cause as much as 0.1% in MV. That's 30fps when temperature changes from 70F to 80F.

In order to compensate for the loss of speed, the charge will need to be adjusted roughly by the same percentage. Be careful when doing it. Chasing speed could be dicey.

-TL

I shot them over the chrono the same day. I did load the Norma cases 1gn higher than i load the hornady and didn't get all the speed back. Seemed odd to me to loose that much. Still shoots good.

I mean shape of powder. Ball vs extruded. I do agree about burn rate. The 6.5 Prc is not overbore enough for the slowest powders.
You mean modern formulations ensure better ignition performance? I've loaded retumbo, magnum, magpro and one or two other slow burners and in my barrel just wasn't getting good results--OK, but not the laser sharp groups the newer 25's are fast gaining a reputation for. The blackjack bullets are just an empty hole in my wallet, I never received them, but I've had pretty good results with 120 gr PVA senecas and berger's 133 hybrids using faster extruded powders. With a 90 some percent case fill using 4955 I'm getting 3250 fps with the 120's and a clean burn in my barrel, with the 133 hybrids I'm getting just over 3000 fps using 4350 also clean and both loads are under max pressure (I also try to stay with a "buffer" margin under the max pressure in the theory that will hopefully help prolong the barrel life some). I haven't loaded the 6.5 PRC, but my chamber will take the senecas seated past 3" COL. Along with the price of everything else going up--so too are the prices of barrels. 500 to 700+ dollars is starting to push barrels out from "consumables" to "luxuries" since my income has moved in a reverse direction from inflation in the past few years.:(

Last edited:
I shot them over the chrono the same day. I did load the Norma cases 1gn higher than i load the hornady and didn't get all the speed back. Seemed odd to me to loose that much. Still shoots good.
1gr over 62gr is not quite 3%. I suggest not to fixate on the speed. It shoots well. That's what counts.

-TL

You mean modern formulations ensure better ignition performance? I've loaded retumbo, magnum, magpro and one or two other slow burners and in my barrel just wasn't getting good results--OK, but not the laser sharp groups the newer 25's are fast gaining a reputation for. The blackjack bullets are just an empty hole in my wallet, I never received them, but I've had pretty good results with 120 gr PVA senecas and berger's 133 hybrids using faster extruded powders. With a 90 some percent case fill using 4955 I'm getting 3250 fps with the 120's and a clean burn in my barrel, with the 133 hybrids I'm getting just over 3000 fps using 4350 also clean and both loads are under max pressure (I also try to stay with a "buffer" margin under the max pressure in the theory that will hopefully help prolong the barrel life some). I haven't loaded the 6.5 PRC, but my chamber will take the senecas seated past 3" COL. Along with the price of everything else going up--so too are the prices of barrels. 500 to 700+ dollars is starting to push barrels out from "consumables" to "luxuries" since my income has moved in a reverse direction from inflation in the past few years.:(
Modern formulations have allowed Ball powders to burn as slow as extruded powders.
I don't have a 6.5PRC, but I have been getting stellar results from Staball 6.5 in my 6 5 x 284 with 130 Berger VLD hunting.

Back