1000 Yard shot with the Mosin Nagant 91/30

Well done! Totally jealous of your "range".

Have you chrono'd that load to see if it should still be supersonic at 1K?

Grizzdude is using one of my sights. When it left here, it was so sharp I jabbed my thumb with it!

I understand he may have blunted it just a bit.

Still, man, I tried seeing it on my rifle. My eyes don't cooperate like his do! I couldn't see the sharp tip of that sight easily, and couldn't shoot 1000 yards like that period.

I do really like that rifle of his. I sent him a trigger I made, but I understand he went back to the stock trigger as it was well-matched to the rifle, and is saving the two-stage trigger for another Mosin (can't wait to see what he does with it!)

The rifle is epoxy and pillar bedded. This is not cheating; it's a faster way to achieve what the Finns achieved with proper inletting and shimming of the stocks.

They required 1.3MOA, proven at 150 meters, from each rifle issued.

The platform is more than capable of this type of precision. I'm sort of surprised a the performance of the Brown Bear he's using. It's flat out excellent for production ammunition produced in a former military ammo plant.

I've tried talking Grizz into handloading for that rifle, using fireformed cases and SMK bullets. Betcha' each bullet would hit at 1000 yards.

That Brown Bear 174 grain should be going about 1050fps at 1000 yards. It begins going trans-sonic at 900fps, becoming subsonic at around 950 yards. This holds true from sea level to 1000 feet above sea level.

Regards,

Josh

P.S. I really want your eyesight, Grizzdude! What is it, 20/10???

Finn Sniper

Google the name Simo Hayha. He was a Finnish sniper that had 505 kills to his credit; all with a Mosin using open sights.

Years ago when my eyes were better I shot my 1903A3 at 1000yds. That I could actually see the target was a chore. About a 8 foot sheet of paper with a 4or 5 foot bulls eye, I think, may have been bigger. I used M2 ball and walked the shots in like a mortar. After about a dozen or so misses beginning about 600yds,I finally ended up sighting on the treeline behind the berm, some Kentucky windage, and dropping them in for a hit on the paper. That I actually hit the paper was amazing.

The standard NRA 800-1000 yard target has a 44" black. It looks very small at that distance. That rifle appears to be a good one if it can hit that target consistently at that range. In my somewhat limited experience at (much) shorter ranges, most M-N's won't do that well, with 3-4" at 100 yards being more the norm.

Jim

At 1000 yards I couldn't hit a target with an air strike or a legal summons much less a rifle.

Well that is good... considering the rear sight on the Mosin goes to what?.... 12 miles or something? This is a good start I expect 5miles by next month, best get practicing.

These two comments made me laugh.

Nice shooting by the way! Makes me want to try it as well!

Well that is good... considering the rear sight on the Mosin goes to what?.... 12 miles or something?

2000 Meters, for a M91/30.

3200 Arshini for the M91/08 ....

2700 Arshini on the M91.

1 Arshin= 28 inches.

Back