1000 yard 6.5 under $1000

I've built a few rifles and I honestly don't think you can acquire a good 1000yd. rifle for under a $1000 dollars (new). but if I were to attempt to build one I'd probably start with a Savage Long Range Precision in the 6.5 Creed caliber. You may have to change the barrel and in this case I'd look at McGowan drop-in.Vortex 6.5x20x50mm, with the standard Vortex rings @ $20 a piece, would be a good start. Start out with Honady's competition series FL dies and bushings. Note: the 26 in barrel will give you the best control on your MV. also don't try to re-invent the wheel keep it simple and clean. You'll be surprised just how tight a group you can shoot at 300 yds with this and still keep your MV close.

Just recently gotten bitten by the long range bug and am considering a Howa 1500 6.5 Creedmoor 24" heavy barreled action, Bell and Carlson M40 stock, Burris 25MOA 1 piece base with SWFA SS scope and rings. Looking at some of the online calculators it should be capable of 1,000+ yards and/or much further than I am currently capable of pushing it.

DJudge said:
Just recently gotten bitten by the long range bug and am considering a Howa 1500 6.5 Creedmoor 24" heavy barreled action, Bell and Carlson M40 stock, Burris 25MOA 1 piece base with SWFA SS scope and rings. Looking at some of the online calculators it should be capable of 1,000+ yards and/or much further than I am currently capable of pushing it.

Excellent rifle selection. I've shot 1K a few times (no expert) and I've used my 300 Win Mag and my .243. Both rifles were R700's with a precision aftermarket stock, and a good quality 8-32x optic.

I went with the Bergara HMR-14.

I8QqPeT.jpg

This was the first ever group that I shot from it at 500 yards. This is a 10”x10” steel plate. I was shooting Hornady 140gr American Gunner.

7NNxOdd.jpg

I had a 8 mph crosswind from about 10:30. My math told me to go 8 clicks left and 18 clicks up. I wrote in my dope book that I should have went 19 clicks up.

I am happy with my choice. I hope everyone else is just as happy with theirs.

Back