100 Yards: What's your most accurate rifle, the ammo and group size?

Gosh, Ye of little faith!

We're just talking about 3 shots at 100 yds!?

Are there any that think that there is a good possibility that
there is a 3 shot touching cluster under that dime?

Weatehrby .270 magnum, Weaver steel tube 3x9 variable scope. Speer 90 or 100 grain bullets near 4000 fps. I shot t dimes to get the scope dead on. 130 grain bullets too.

This was the second group I shot with my Tikka T3. I shot 5 groups of 3 shots that day, still only the first 15 shots I've shot from the rifle and the largest was 1.05". I sold an old beat up savage I couldn't shoot well to pay for it and wow, was I happy how this turned out!!

Federal PowerShok 150 Grain 7mm-08 Tikka T3 Stainless Lite with Leupold VX-3i
3163cbe1748f38c111fa4620bf15052e.jpg

I was just reading about the NRA smallbore championship matches - just finished.
The Army's Mike McPhail won the 100 yard prone match - 40 shots prone with metallic sights - with a 400 - 36X. The X-ring on that target is one inch wide.
I wonder how far out the four tens were.

In another part of the competition - 120 shots - he shot an 1198/1200 with 102Xs....and came in third.

Ques.: Are group size and accuracy the same thing? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Ques.: Are group size and accuracy the same thing? I don't think so.

Answer: Group size is certainly evidence of accuracy; the more shots in the group, the more valid the evidence for same.

My Savage 6mmBR is extremely accurate. My best group was 5 years ago.

It was at 100 yards, and was 5 rounds. The group measured .200" center to center. I couldn't believe it. It was my best group with any rifle ever. OR since.

The load was an 80 grain Berger, Lapua brass, 30.5 grains of Varget, and CCI BR4 primers. It was from a concrete bench.

I also have a Savage .308 I bought from a friend. He shot a 3 round dime size group while prone before I bought it. I saw him do that, but I haven't duplicated it yet. He did it with Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grains.

I am thinking about the difference between the size of the group and the location of the group on the target.

The location of the group on the target means little in terms of accuracy. To change the location, you change the sights (or employ "Kentucky Windage") to address poa with poi. The size of the group connotes accuracy or at least the potential for same.

DGL: Yeah....that is certainly the case. Change the sights, of course. If the gun/load combo does not group, then it does not matter a whole lot.
I always wonder, though, why groups that we see are only occasionally in the center of the target. Is it because we chase then first shot or ....?

If the gun/load combo does not group, then it does not matter a whole lot.
All shots on any target group, of course. It's just a matter of how close together or far apart the holes are.

I always wonder, though, why groups that we see are only occasionally in the center of the target.
Mostly because if you're trying to determine the intrinsic accuracy of any firearm, where the shots land is of no consequence. Better sights and better triggers might help a shooter to shoot more accurately but they have nothing to do with how accurate the firearm is.
With respect to rifles, barrels and bedding are the biggest contributors to accuracy, good or bad. Too, some firearms are much more sensitive to ammunition types than are others, meaning that just because a firearm is less accurate with some ammunition doesn't mean that it won't shoot more accurately with different ammunition and vice versa.

dgludwig said:
Three shots per coin? I'm finally impressed.

IIRC, I pasted 7 coins (on a cardboard backer at 100 yards), gave myself 2 shots per coin, but ended up only needing 9 shots:

- 3 of those coins were hit with a single shot, and a 4th took a 2nd shot.

- 2 coins (not shown) were "winged" and not usable as fobs.

- I'd be remiss if I didn't admit I missed the first coin with 2 shots. :o

The CTR is a good shooter. I know this is a "what's your best 100 yard group?" thread, but here's it's best 200 yard group. Certainly not normal, but IIRC, it's average is 0.55" (5-shot group) at 100.

Tikka%20Tiny%20Group%202_zpsfw5gducn.jpg

Quote: Ques.: Are group size and accuracy the same thing? I don't think so.

Answer: Group size is certainly evidence of accuracy; the more shots in the group, the more valid the evidence for same.

Well, after 4 pages, :rolleyes: ... at least one person seems to get it.

Let's repeat: 3-shots doesn't establish a "group" for accuracy purposes; it indicates (barely) that there's a POA somewhere on paper.

5-shots is the bare minimum for establishing or vetting the accuracy of a certain load in a certain rifle, as long as the shooter is removed from the equation as much as possible. That's why you shoot 5-shot groups from a rested/supported position - typically, off a bench.

And yes, 10-shot groups are much more useful for assessing the accuracy of a particular load (or rifle) than 5-shot groups.

Achieving consistent accuracy in centerfire rifle shooting is work, guys. I mean, other than just doing some casual Sunday afternoon plinking, which we all do from time to time.

But if you're lazy, stick with your little 3-shot "group." If it's reasonably tight, well, you can do the fat man's happy dance. :eek: ;)

Last edited:
: 3-shots doesn't establish a "group" for accuracy purposes; it indicates (barely) that there's a POA somewhere on paper.

Three-shot groups will go a long way in determining the accuracy potential of a rifle if you shoot enough of them. But there's no doubt that the more shots placed in a given group, the more validity there is for defining the accuracy of any rifle.

What's your most accurate rifle, the ammo and group size?

At 100 yards, it would have to be my Armi Jager AP-74, it is a .22 LR rifle made to look like an AR-15.

I have no idea what the group sizes are. The standard for accuracy I use is whether or not I can get at least 9 out of 10 rounds into the circular divot on the side of a gallon milk jug at 100 yards firing offhand. The Jager pretty much always get 10 out of 10.

I have a "standardized" .223 load for my centerfire rifles that is a Hornady 60 grain soft (or hollow) point spitzer over 20.3 grains * of IMR-4198. It will always deliver at least 9 out of 10 into the milk jug divot from anything I shoot them from. I suppose if I shot off a bench, I could probably tighten the groups up.

* This load is less than maximum in the Hornady Handbook #4 which was current when I developed this round. It should be noted that Hornady #8 shows this as an "above maximum" load. I am not going to disassemble the remaining 35 year old rounds that have consistently performed well, but in future, I will load consistent with the later published manuals.

Back