100% new to muzzle loaders, looking for help

Buy a copy of the Lyman BP Handbook and Reloading Guide. $21.98 from Amazon for direct from Lyman. Answers a lot of questions. Particularly about loading for one. Starting with BP is loaded in grains by volume not mass like smokeless.

Calibrated Precision measured by "volume", is prefered

Starting with BP is loaded in grains by volume not mass like smokeless.
This is traditional and really, just good common sense. Now then, reloaders like to weigh everything and that's fine. If you want to make some premeasured charges by weight, It will work but takes more effort. A Calibrated Precision measured by "volume" is preferred. In practice, you will likely get one anyway. ;)

BP and it's replacement, is very forgiving and a few gains difference either way, won't make much difference. The important point is to be totally consistent. :)

Be Safe !!!

Starting with BP is loaded in grains by volume not mass like smokeless.

Well, kind of. All of my reading and research shows that the volumetric "grains" (Kind of a misnomer since the empirical "grain" is not a volume measurement, but a mass measurement) is based solely and only on the amount of volume that a similarly weighed charge of 2F black powder would fill up. Hence, 60 grains of 2F measured in a volumetric powder measure should weigh 60 grains.

As always, all bets are off for any substitutes. They are designed and created to exhibit very close to the pressure and energy of a similar volume of black powder. Measuring Black Powder by weight or volume is fine (2F and 3F are pretty close, I suspect 1F and 4F might be further off). Measuring a substitute by volume is fine, but by weight is dangerous.

The BP "volume vs. weight" measurement system has been beat to death over many years over the net. I use both methods depending on exactly what type of firearm i'm shooting. For traditional muzzleload recreational target pistols and rifle I use volume measurements as it's quick, and easy "on site" loading. When I load my 1874 Sharps in 45-70 BPCR I use weight. IMO the weight measurement system is better for precision consistency and data documenting my loads. Volume measuring does bring some small inconsistencies when weighed from what I've observed.

I will add that muzzleloader accuracy can be similar to modern firearms. Experiment with powder charges to find the most accurate load. I usually start a new rifle with 60 grains and work up in 10 grain increments. When accuracy drops or improves I fine tune it in 2 grain increments. Try Power belt bullets as well. One of my rifles loves them, one is ok, another won't do what I want.

Back