10 Shot Long Barreled .22

Wise choice on the 6" 617.

It will serve you well for countless years to come. ;)

BTW.....I've heard that a good-sized gopher stampede can decimate a small town. :eek:

Taurus Tracker 970 except . . .

Taurus Tracker 970 has everything you want save for the capacity. They chamber seven rounds.

Live Well, be safe
Prof Young

I also prefer a double action 22 revolver over a single action due to handling the small cartridges.

The S&W M617 is a good choice. I would prefer the 4" for most shooting situations, but I don't hunt small animals with one either. In your case, I would choose the 6". It certainly would be a lot of fun.

I don't own a 617, but I have a number of M17's and M18's. Both 6 shooters.

A 5" S&W M63 (8 shot) might be a consideration (22LR). They haven't made them for a a few years, but they are very good small framed revolvers that to many feel more like a 22 should. The 3" is currently made. I have both the 3" and 5".

The old model S&W 48 was chambered in both 22LR and 22 mag. Some shipped with two cylinders. It would be a 6 shooter however, but still a double action. Probably would be fairly expensive if you found one.

If I were hunting them for fun, I would probably go with a Ruger Mark II or III Govt Model (heavy bull barrel) 22 pistol. They are very accurate. You can get these with a long barrel if you want.

Last edited:
I also would look at the Ruger SP101, has about a 4 1/2" barrel, hi vis front sight and holds 8 rounds and is new production so they are available well under the Smith $1000 price. I also second the practice on paper, its not ethical to shoot and wound animals just for practice. A clean kill is worked for by every hunter. Good luck with your choice.

I am a revolver guy through and through... so I hate to say this...

but a really good 22 double-action revolver is going to be expensive and may or may not be as good as what you want.

My most accurate center-fire handguns are my long-barreled SA Ruger revolvers. None of my dozens of center-fire semiautomatic pistols can equal them.

But a Buck Mark or Ruger Mark-Whatever is probably going to be better overall than any 22 revolver you will find.

I have a 6.5"Ruger Single Six that I am very accurate with. The sad truth is that I can outshoot it with my (5.5" I think) Buck Mark more often than not. My FiL has a Mark II target model with some ridiculous barrel that is around 8" long and I seriously doubt that I will ever find a 22 revolver that shoots better.

22 long rifle has an annoyingly hard primer. You can search around a lot and spend a lot of money, but a SMOOTH DA revolver that will consistently bust those primers is going to be expensive... and you might pay the money and find that your particular example is not that great.

But a moderately priced Buck Mark or Mark-whatever will generally have better sights, a better trigger, and will do the job as well or better for a lot less coin. That is the simple truth.

Last edited:
Back