10 Shot Long Barreled .22

1972RedNeck

I am looking to get a .22 revolver to shoot gophers with mainly for practice (I hate "wasting" rounds target shooting). I would like it to have a couple of certain features but I have yet to come across something that fits the bill to a tee.

Things I would like to have is

-10 rounds (9 acceptable)
-swing out cylinder (I think this limits me to double action but correct me if not)
-7.5" to 10" barrel (longer sight radius will help me shoot straighter, right?)
-it would be really nice if would shoot .22 and .22 Mag (doesn't have to if not an option)

Does such a beast exist?

I do believe such a revolver does exist.

S&W model 617 with an 8 3/8" with a full under-lug barrel. Stainless steel and 10 shot capability.

I have a High Standard Double Nine that matches pretty close......10" barrel, nine shot, double action.

I stand partially corrected. You can get a S&W model 617 with an 8 3/8" barrel, but it will only be a six shot and it will be a pre-lock model.

I was quite sure that S&W still made a post-lock 617 with an 8 3/8" barrel. I checked and could not find one on Gun Broker.

Here is an example of a pre-lock model. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/615754942

Myself, I have a 617 with the long barrel and it's a no-dash model. It was made in Dec. of 1993. Six shot and full target model to boot. It's still NIB and one of the finest crafted S&W's I've ever seen.

I'm a big S&W revolver fan and own many of all calibers.

If you can get by with only a six shot revolver, then the 617 would be the way to go.

I have a SW 617 with a 6" barrel. It fits all your requirements except the barrel length. The 6" really give a pretty nice sight radius. I don't think you will gain a lot of accuracy with the longer tube. Worth checking one out.

If your not stuck on the long barrel, you may also look at the Ruger GP100 22lr. Only 5 1/2" but balances great and has good sights.

What lunger said!

I too, have both a 4" and a 6" S&W 617. The 6" will do just as well as the longer 8 3/8" barrel..........for most shooters. ;)

And.....it's a LOT more reasonably priced than the pre-lock 617 with the longer barrel.

A pristine 617 with the long barrel will cost you at least $1000.00 for a used one. If you happen to find a new old stock one, plan on $1500.00 and up.

Seriously, give that 6" 617 some serious thought. No .22lr revolver on the market any better.

I have a High Standard Double 9 that I bought in 1970. Great gun and a good shooter to boot.

You should do a search and see what they are selling for. If you find and buy one, I think you will be happy with it.

It is one shot less than your 10 shot wish for, but they call it the double nine for a reason.

Here is a link for some reading up on them.

http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/HSD9/hsd9.html

If you could opt out of the swing-out cylinder, a Ruger Single Six (single-action) seems to fit everything else. You can even get them with a 22 magnum cylinder. I have only had a 5.5" and 6.5", but there is a used one at my LGS that looks to have a 10" barrel or so. They are excellent revolvers. I have yet to shoot a better one. The newer ones come with 9 or 10 rounds or something like that.

I'll let the experts tell you if the 9-10 round cylinder and extremely long barrel ever happened to coincide.

I guess first and foremost it need to have a swing out cylinder. I have big fingers/hands so stuffing a .22 cartridge one at a time into a single action is kind of a pain.

It looks like there are no 9 or 10 shots that are convertible so that is out.

So it all boils down to the barrel length. I realize that I am a poor pistol shooter. I grew up on rifles and tend to shoot my revolver more like a rifle (close one eye, focus on the sights, etc) hence the need for practice. After thinking about it today though, I realized that getting a long barreled revolver wouldn't help me much as I would be more apt to use a rest and take careful aim like a rifle.

A more reasonable barrel like a 4" or 5" would force me to start shooting like I should if I want any accuracy out of it so it would probably be better for me.

So the question is, for you pistol proficient folks out there, could you consistently shoot gophers/ground squirrels (not dogs) at 15 to 20 yards with a 4" or 5" revolver?

So the question is, for you pistol proficient folks out there, could you consistently shoot gophers/ground squirrels (not dogs) at 15 to 20 yards with a 4" or 5" revolver?

That's doable, especially if you can make use of an improvised rest. It will take a good bit of practice though. Any particular reason you've eliminated an .22 auto loader? One of the long barreled Rugers MKwhatever or lots of other options would work pretty well for this. Load some spare mags and you have an easy field reload.

In a revolver I'd prefer at least a 6". A high quality .22 swing-out is going to take some coin. Probably more than one of the better autos.

Both the 4 and 6" S&W 617 are very capable of hitting small game at distances much greater than what you are talking about. They come drilled for a scope mount or you could put a red dot on top.

s1IXBghhpj28WoN7l7AJk8xjceUK6bOfSwkwyaok83RbxrrowuwMoCLTvaUpwcf6cH2W5IS5QbuQZ3YHiwhcl3p7MaXMpgRlGQIuH51MWq-JMxVfdp2AmTCXMz3_XCTTgJraTYOZC8efL8Dvn2PwpR9OqgMDL8FTpcy2DmXs7HdDRPdguDc_e7-G2Z1ebj1L6P1W7jFJL8a9CeaWSjdqbkpTgEpkV-XR1W9E-i-810C7ika-7u4-eabU8M-4uoHk-mkuKYiMs420cU9aUiOD2c_W29zeT5la_qdOQchdf3yk--wsGj5aXrSWza-cyUaNCcyH6QZlekNugHZwEdj6N7xiFF2e6kXT0Np0IVINcJE2lgKakQshYOUUtOkLHQLa9KXhTxrKijxeUXkTANmceOIsB3v4XYyPbyrSA7-CNmsEgykxU48WfWkyMYOVMHu7Ngt53koP1e9Oyk6oFQnPJFccyIFD-gbs974OrGblFRRP0oAEomXJziicea0txzyYAHyOoEjoADCHCT9fJAoHmVmROicPmNu-diQJ7u8cUNMqJB_ak-QBDZJ67UIQxEbqGlRDLBhKT_LHSiNvEGaeKPzT078UDPmlK-makeV5OPdUOZwlxFyO=w1469-h513-no

I assume you were born in 1972 and that would make you a few years younger than me. If you currently don't need reading glasses you will soon. That makes seeing the sights on a revolver an issue without corrected shooting glasses. I think you might benefit from a red dot. I am more accurate with the 4" version with a red dot compared to the 6" with iron sights. If I were using a light weight red dot I'd probably put it on the 6" barrel. The heavier red dot gives the 4" a very nice balance. If you would only be shooting iron sights then get the 6"

To become proficient with a pistol will take a lot of lead down range and also regular practice to maintain the skill. It's no different than a rifle. If you are not willing to put in the time to learn the new skill then it's probably not worth getting into a new discipline. On top of that, learning to shoot a double action revolver accurately will require quite a bit more time and lead. I think it took me 5,000 rounds...maybe more to learn the double action pull.

12 rounds / double action / standing / 25 yards...

hADGe17E_W7jD6JN9BbxnAp14gB15EojFRh-bz5jNK_ghpIEBXY9bnxb-WLoYmz1Uw3yjK1aPvjXb9fQ96I0JfYxU8P2S3osJ7D5PohDt6S5UvVsvs2JYQPLTGoUO_qCLxqx798yM4bujcjtf3AeMBBFeAY-xaHyaI47Vj-nPr_28AhbyXWnU67FrpziMneutBA2Qa8BMcDkwKEg3o_qKGZTYGqdPr6lGlZUO0vu2ZjtN9uY3JDhPFjQ38IRF25RPyjpEfTgILvUpXg6rJ7S_zBVCQVv3HA6jYaxecKSIYolUhFWICjaNt5wTLiqpVOfiDBsjVsdPS9LzRjHiM3-EJX9s3LbHJBCq3AmHk7VJ96FG1vwZy_U3XYi-zmLJoShiqroNxrdVr_u5GzFVpqgO_RCdqqD_nA5fiiSRD_FtYFwKm0w6Gd0q0f2_GgZkxBC_UYDK_W12hSInHhd2gPA31TSFt9GtRUpcyaPTak0yafpmIDcgK2oTLZjyhop159JjBxT5Y74zrQq-qhnKdQMO0ySjVNNi9ntzWXKujY1CYBwMomvpbt6KRwkFCKVZ_hL2FEerR5k-Vj8kK2s7ysTdr2Kfc1P9cQ8rtsGTxxpKeMXJLy0CPb5=w1442-h906-no

The best way to learn how to shoot a pistol, in my opinion, is at paper targets at 25 yards. At that distance you have to focus on the basics. Paper allows you to see your mistakes and then you can work on correcting them.

Trying to learn how to shoot a pistol while practicing on gophers is not going to do you any good and will likely result in unnecessary suffering for the animals.

Best of luck to you,
Dave

J74sC4Axyudd-eNLMofsPYV54FlFjqJp5akENV5Y0PmQ2uPHawzxisuevfn0zrpRpNXMwNS6xdsVUyNp-T0QUsmnxWaPimqqhZmmqq_IYFXb0zR3dwxAsCXCwG1qwkIxg4dCjdNktwctZLSYE2XeXVl8nupLVTiAdpJf09M8852RI_vL9zKbOf-uJKnyaozN6_i2TTIQSKu74-2ITCNDR3jGp99j0YKZOk7bfoc_eC-xg-Z2wnzi5XTaJkdEz9ctPz1kxKmyPyscl9Y_fgXTsVFC858glarFbSZHy9QnCYz8QsCRdGp_g51RYKNUoh0pn0G_NQ2Yh7pgbrd1J0v-RwILGNEPQ_T4qbaihPv5yQHPVAXbCFqPzfbdoNzse7UGu_o4PG5YRDvNowFwqS-eCIbXZNATEHbLymvpafcvlf4629uJfsNdqEwdVq6cYXTFA-uSv9lesB7KLUKVw9Q_pbSGR-Foc1jzHRKXz5qGFj2tufJjvPKDF4F5M8OfYFrAh1VgfKzkNMWndjiC4qHkdu1D1OYCPowPCisaf4jfRj7RrG_BzrA7wW0SukO7haSyG0fLVPcDZimCi9dbTuWSnOsYAAzhhWK9DW_vAg5i6ooGpdRJvzt7=w1537-h833-no

Last edited:
Just curious why you need a 10 round cylinder . . . are your gopher herds that large that you need that many rounds? :eek::rolleyes::)

Sorry . . . just couldn't help it! :)

Why do I need ten rounds? I don't, I just like shooting more than reloading.

I am actually only 20 so my eyesight is good.

We've got a decent sized operation with a decently large gopher population. During the summer, my main mode of transportation is a dirt bike. A rifle is a little cumbersome to carry around on the bike, so I would like to invest in a rimfire revolver to carry at times. (never been into auto loaders, always liked bolt actions and revolvers)

I don't really see any need to shoot double action as pulling the hammer back is second nature for me.

It looks like a 6" S&W 617 is in my near future.

Back