10 Gauge Pump

OkieCowboy

Inactive
Howdy...
First post here. I would like to know where I can find a pump action riot shotgun in 10 GA. (any brand).
Been looking but cannot seem to find any.

Thanks,
OkieLawman

The only 10ga. slide action shotgun I'm aware of in current production is the Browning BPS Magnum. The shortest barrel offered is 24". Do you really need a 10ga. riot shotgun?

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical

Might want to check a Shotgun news or a Gun List. Last time i was looking in them i belive i saw 10g shotguns comeing from russia
I dont no the cost. wild guess was about 400$
preaty good for a 10g now about ammo, good luck most store dont even cary that and if they do ammo is preaty darn expencive. better reload.

good luck
house

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ctdonath:
Gotta ask: why? isn't .75 caliber (12 guage) enough?[/quote]A 12 guage probly is large enough. I live in a small town where backup is approximatly 12 miles away, if there is a officer out in the next town. In 12 yrs. I have only had to fire 1-round and that was when I was carrying a 357 wheelgun, so I may never have to use the 10 gauage anyway. Unlike the cities, everone knows what we carry, a 10 gauage would just be more of a deturant. I could tell you about several occasions where a shotgun made the difference, or my dog did. I won't go into stories now or I would be here all day. Word would get out that I carried a 10 gauage, and I am good with a shotgun. The only one better than me with a shotgun at the academy was our shotgun instructor.

I remember reading a review of the Ithaca Roadblocker during middle school -- I think it was in the 1986 Gun Digest or the 1986 Shotgun Digest. The biggest problem the reviewers encountered was a lack of defensive ammunition for the big 10 bore -- they could only find birdshot, finding 00 or 000 buckshot was practically impossible.

If you've got a ready source of 10 gauge defensive ammunition (or a MEC press :)) then you're fine. But you might want to check out the availability of social ammunition before you lay out the cash for a big 10.

HTH,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

As I recall, the Ithaca only held three rounds,and the design prevented stretching the tube. No input on the Browning pump.And, that sucker might be too heavy to move rapidly.

Since you're concerend about visual effect...

Maybe you should go for a nasty, black, accessorized semi auto 12, with ALL the bells whistles, fuzzy dice and fender skirts. Belt fed would be nice, too(G)...

Agree with OkieCowboy,
In rural areas, where everybody knows you, the mere reputation of a big gun, is deterrent enough, even though it might be just as efective as a 12 Gauge, the psychological factor is there.

Dave McC: The fuzzy dice might work in MD, but here in the South, we do things a little different. :D

Cowboy

[This message has been edited by Cowboy (edited July 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Cowboy (edited July 04, 2000).]

Last time I looked, Cowboy, the Mason Dixon line was still north of us(G).The kids think Bream filets are what's served for breakfast in Heaven, and shotguns are home owner's insurance plans.

And I got as many Confederate ancestors as Union ones.

Back to the guns...

Something to it, knew a Trooper who packed a blue steel S&W N-Frame 45 ACP revolver, and he had carefully polished the muzzle down to bright metal, on purpose. His theory was that it made it look bigger that way, and served as a deterrent.

Hueco, that certainly would have a deterrant effect...On killer whales and dinosaurs! What the hell would you do with such a monster! (never mind I'm already starting to think of a few things). :)

As the tale goes...The Russian med units used them to fix displaced shoulders. If a guy suffered one, they'd just have him shoot this puppy on the affected side (front/back)and he'd be alright. Only problem they encountered was that it tended to blow the shoulder through "fixed" and back to the OTHER side...thus re-displacing it. Yup, that's it.

A more practical purpose would be a deck gun for an international boat assuming slugs are available somewhere. I cannot imagine it being shoulder-fired...oh my.

Hueco

Funny. Just looking at the gun, it doesn't look any larger than a 12 or 10 ga. I'm not sure what I was expecting to see, but it just looks like a normal shotgun to me. *shrug*

I do like the line 'ammo available soon!' That alone would deter me from the purchase. A gun with no ammo is a very high-tech club.

Mike

PS on the other hand, I am now officially curious what it would be like to shoot... ;)

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

My shop has a Browning 10. Holy crap, that thing's HUGE.

Remember, gents, when you ask "What do you need a cannon like that for," it isn't The Bill Of Needs. I have no practical purpose for a 10-gauge, or a Barrett M82 for that matter, but that isn't the point.

Okie, if you can find a 10-gauge, go for it.

No it's not the Bill of Needs, so if ya want it go get it. Bear in mind, ammo is almost non-existent, practice will hurt like heck, follow up shots might need to be from the belly-up prone position.

I'm not a criminal or a rural trouble maker, but I don't think I'd be any more deterred to know someone had a loaded 10 vs. a loaded 12 at hand. The 12 has universally unquestioned stopping power, firing any number of objects of any size from the shell. If you want something different, something exotic, something to let the locals know you're a bad@$$, go for it. I don't think it adds a bit of psychological or tactical advantage. IMHO, of course.

A 12-guage is about as big as you can get and still be generally useable. Anything larger (10-guage, .50 BMG) is pretty specialized; such items have their place, and you're certainly free to get them (I'm debating the AR-50), but recognize what you're actually going to use it for (home defense? gawking at it?) and get something appropriate.

Actually, a 20-guage is about the max anyone would need; 12-guage just happens to be so popular and still generally useable that it's still a reasonable choice.

A key factor is ammo availability. 12 is very common; 10 is rare. Don't get something that you can't afford to practice with.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ctdonath:
Actually, a 20-guage is about the max anyone would need[/quote]

Carl, don't make me come over there. ;)

In a quieter part of South East Asia, ca 1970, I recall shooting hand thrown clay pigeons with a MM79 grenade launcher with the Buckshot rounds. Any guesses on what the gauge would work out to?

Conneach-
To clarify the point:
"Need" is one thing. "Want" is certainly something else. Neither provides an excuse for anyone to limit someone else's options. I figure I only "need" a 20 guage for defense or hunting, but I'm sticking to my 12 guage 'cuz I WANT to (mmmmm...bigger holes...) and ain't nobody gonna deny me that option.

Back