1 piece or 2 piece scope bases?

1.5" group at 100 yards doesn't cut it for me.
If one of my hunting rifles shoots 1.5", then i'm trying to figure out why it's shooting so poorly.

1/4" has me placing top 3 for factory rifle in my local UBR, Groundhog matches.

And i never said which match. F-Class, 1,000 yard benchrest, PRS. Your not gonna find 2 piece bases.
2 piece bases allow easier access for loading and unloading on many actions. I see them as hunting and not bench rest. Honestly, many of the new br actions have integrated bases.

I haven't seen a hunting rifle yet, where there isn't enough room to load or unload using a one piece base.
Ok, maybe some of the lever actions.
Except for the screwy mounts on my Ruger 77MKIIs (with the medium rear ring, low front ring), all my hunting bolt actions wear EGW one piece base, with low rings.

I've never had a one piece mount interfere with unloading on any of my guns. Some are cut out on the port side to allow more room. I have had two piece bases that would not allow using a short scope or one with long/short eye relief without having to buy an extended ring. I've owned a lot of guns and I've never found where a one piece mount caused any problems. I have put two piece bases on some guns and they worked fine also. However, the one piece prevents a lot of sins like having to rework the rings so they don't leave marks or pinch the scope tube body.

A purely arbitrary number. When I was a youth, the rhetoric was that a 3" group at 100 yards was all that was needed for deer hunting.

Of course it is but many years ago some rifles were only good for about that. I can't except it in my rifles but then My rifles are all pretty well tuned and I load everything and bed all my rifles. In theory a 1 1/2"load 3" high at 100yds is pretty good to go out to 250-300 yds depending on the cartridge is why even 2" would make it in many places! So why do we need a quarter inch rifle? Ego! Yea I got the ego too which is why I don't settle for less than an inch group's.

I haven't seen a hunting rifle yet, where there isn't enough room to load or unload using a one piece base.
Ok, maybe some of the lever actions.
Except for the screwy mounts on my Ruger 77MKIIs (with the medium rear ring, low front ring), all my hunting bolt actions wear EGW one piece base, with low rings.
I said its easier to do with 2 piece base. I didnt say impossible to do with one piece base. Gloves are the factor that complicate it. I have huge fingers in the first place.

Back