1:9 .223

I have a savage 223 1-9 twist and run 55gr v max with benchmark and h335 and can put 5 shots covered by a quarter at 100yards. try the 55gr. I was also able to send 3 through the same hole with 55gr fmj-bt. 50, 52gr bullets shot horrible.

I never owned a 1:9 twist .223 that I didn't like. But I didn't hardly use any real heavy bullets. Before the internet I thought it was the do-all twist. Now I have 1:7, 1:8, 1:9. My shooting I can't tell much difference.

I have put varmint rounds in a 1:7 and they held up.

I've seen people at gun stores turn their nose up at perfectly fine 1:9 rifles. I wouldn't shy away from 1:9 in Any .223 unless you had some specific bullet in mind. If you plan shoot whatever you find, 1:9 will be good.

I have two 1:9 twist Savage .223's : a Stevens 200 and a 110 FP. Both have original factory barrels.

Both absolutely love bullets in the 62 to 69 grain range - they will shoot anything in that range like a laser. 1/4" groups at 100 yards....3/4" at 200. Probably do better at 200, if I had younger eyes.

55 grain have always been mediocre, though. Just can't seem to find a combination that produces really tight groups.

I haven't tried anything lighter than 55 grains, though, on the theory that they probably won't work. Can't say for sure, though. Well, to be honest, I have tried some 50-52 grain loads at the range, a few times. Those loads shoot well in my shooting buddie's Savage 12. But, they were pretty mediocre in my rifles.

Heck, I've even tried 75 grain in these two rifles. They stabilized (no keyholing).... but I think just barely. Best accuracy was 4 -5 " at 200 yards....so I dropped them pretty quickly.

I have two 1:9 twist Savage .223's : a Stevens 200 and a 110 FP. Both have original factory barrels.

Both absolutely love bullets in the 62 to 69 grain range - they will shoot anything in that range like a laser. 1/4" groups at 100 yards....3/4" at 200. Probably do better at 200, if I had younger eyes.

55 grain have always been mediocre, though. Just can't seem to find a combination that produces really tight groups.

Absolutely mirrors my experience with a Savage 10FP. The rifle was amazing with 69 gr bullets but refused to shoot lighter bullets with the same accuracy. Unfortunately I bought the rifle for groundhog hunting and needed the lighter bullets. Ended up selling it and replacing it with a .22-250.

My bolt gun that I mentioned in post #8 is a Savage model 10 heavy 20 inch barrel 1:9 twist.
It loves the 55 grain bullets, the accuracy of this rifle with my handloads using Sierras 55gr Blitzking and Sierras 55gr Gameking is flat amazing.
I'm talking 5 shot 5/16 inch groups at 100 yards and shoots these groups consistently.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

My first AR was (is) a 20" 1:9; it took me a number of tries to find a bullet it shot as well as I wanted and that turned out to be a 53gr Sierra Matchking...later found it also shoots the 69gr SMK just as well. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding what your particular barrel likes but 55gr is right in the wheelhouse of the 1:9 twist rate I think.

I've got a 20" AR 1:9 twist and old factory federal classic 55 gr. SP shoots 2" groups at 200 yds. 55 gr. is fine in 1:9.
Is it me or are there a lot of 1/4" group shooters on the internet?

Back