1,000 yd shooting

Prep method

That prep could be used to do what you want. Once you get as close an estimate as you can with JBM on the MOA drop. 40 MOA is going to be in the ball park to begin-with. I have no expensive tools so I improvised when I began attempts at 1,000. I use a good Leupold 6.5-20 scope but it has a 1" tube. So I needed an elevated base. I picked a Leupold 20 MOA 1-piece base and when I screwed the front down to the receiver I could still get a dime between the rear of the base and the receiver. Needless to say, I got no elevation increase at the 1000yd range. Then I tried another manufacturer's 20MOA base and having found mechanical zero of the scope (that's where the crosshairs are level with the body of the tube), fired the gun at 100 yards and came-up 12 inches high when I was expecting 20 inches high - that's only 60%. So I sent that one back (and the mfr told me that was the first time he'd had a return in 20 years of his business operation). He finally conceeded it was the reciever finish to base fit that must be off. Tried a third base, 30MOA made by Ken Farrell, fired the gun at 100, came up 29 inches high and have stuck with that to this day. So, if the method of shoot-high testing at 100 is applied to getting on target at 1,000 then certainly it can be used.

Quote:
Using the 175 SMK w/a muzzle velocity of 2800 FPS, sighted in at 100 yards, it drops 30.5 inches at 1000

That has to be a typo. From a 100 yard zero it would likely drop close to 30 inches at 400 yards, never mind a thousand.

At 1,000 yards I'm sure drop from a 100-yard zero would be well over 300 inches.

You're right,that should have been "30 MOA".

1 moa is 1 inch impact change at 100 yards. 1.5 moa at 100 yards is 1.5 inch change at 100 yards. How do you get from 30.5 moa to 319 inch change at 1,000 yards? Answer: Wind, trigger release aka shooter, or the rifle needs new MZ at 1,000. Many good shooting rifles do. That is one reason for adjustable sights. Individual Rifle Data Books are critical. And if you really get fancy you can add mildots to your retitcle. Remember, 1 Mil is equal to 3.44 moa at 100 yards. P.S. MOA is really 1.047 inch change at 100 yards, so that extra .047 times 10 really adds up.

You're right,that should have been "30 MOA".

I was sure it was a typo or "slip of the lip" as Jim Watson put it. It is evident from reading the entire post that kraigwy knows what he is talking about.

And even with no wind, I have to go an extra 2.5 minutes left on the scope windage.

Spin drift from a right-hand twist barrel, no doubt. With an accurate rifle the effect of spin drift can be seen even at 300 yards, once you get out to 500 yards and further it becomes obvious.

David Tubb designed a scope reticle in which the bottom half of the vertical crosshair was curved, to allow for spin drift at various ranges.

They didn't call the sighting element on an '03 the "drift slide" for nothing. Infantry doctrine back then called for extreme long range formation fire and the sight is angled to allow for rifling drift.

Drift?

Wow! What a cool word for improper beeding.

I am sure it occurs for some rifles. You must know where Mechanical Zero is for your rifle at a particular distance.

last time at 1000

My F-T/R rifle "lives" w/ a 600 yd zero and I lob 175/.30 at about the speed you mention. My 600 yd zero is +15MOA at 100, which I can check pretty easy at the nearby state range or even in my neighbors hayfield.

Last time I went to 1000, I put +23MOA (+38 at 100) on the rifle, which is what my log book called for, and shot my first sighter. My spotter advised to come down 1 MOA, which I did, (for +22, +37 from 100) and shot again. An "X" ! Man, I thought it was my day, two sighters and in the X ring!

I never shot another darn x the whole day, 40 rds for record (two relays) and a good handfull of sighters the second time up. Some times I just wanna quit.

But yeah........I think you get the wind right, or close,and a good squeeze, and you should be on paper with +40MOA up at 100. Maybe a tad high.

Could not follow.

I need an additional apprx. 25 moa adjustments, up, from my 600 yard zero to my 1,000 yard zero depending on ambient temperatures.

Where I come from we don't get sighters.

Get yourself a Rav-Vin micrometer.

These are close copies of the P.J. O'Hare, which are very collectable.

I have both, my Ray-Vin is tighter

There is no way you are going to make any sort of decent elevation adjustments, particularly at 1000 yards with an 03 without this micrometer.

A 1000 yard target frame is supposed to be about 8 feet by 8 feet, but in actual practice it is about 8 inches by 8 inches. You don’t have to be off my much to miss the darn thing.

If the sticker shock hits you, just wait when they go out of production. I have not seen new P. J. O’Hare micrometers since the 60’s. And I don’t think they were made past the 40’s.

http://www.ray-vin.com/

http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/rvinst/03sightmike.pdf

o3mike280.jpg

sorry

Sorry for confusion

100 yds- minus 15 moa
600 yds- 0
1000yd- plus 23moa (22 in the conditions on day in story)

Total of 37-38 up from 100, to get on at 1000

I'm punching paper, guess your not

Back