03 FFL (C&R) Bound Book question

beeker77

I just received my C&R FFL, and at the same time, the bound book I ordered from Brownells (pretty nice!). Question: Do I need to enter my existing C&R firearms in the book, or only any firearms acquired after receiving the license? :confused:

You need to enter any C&R firearms you acquire after obtaining the license and any C&R firearms you currently own should you sell/transfer one to someone else.

I was looking into getting my C&R to help with growing my collection. How hard is it to obtain one or is just a long waiting game.

Thank You
Justin

Just to clarify aliitle more. You must enter any Curio and Relic firearm in your bound book even if you didnt use your license to aquire it

Hkmp5sd: ...You need to enter any C&R firearms you acquire after obtaining the license and any C&R firearms you currently own should you sell/transfer one to someone else.

Absolutely correct.

Rocky72:... I was looking into getting my C&R to help with growing my collection. How hard is it to obtain one or is just a long waiting game...

1. Get application directly from ATF.gov (NOT from some website with out of date info).
2. Complete app, mail a copy with $30 check to ATF, mail another copy to the chief LEO where you live marked "For Files Only- No Action Required"
3. Wait

The wait is worth every penny you will save. My C&R paid for itself just on my Brownells discount alone.

Orlando: Just to clarify aliitle more. You must enter any Curio and Relic firearm in your bound book even if you didnt use your license to aquire it

Not exactly.

There is no requirement to record C&R firearms that were owned BEFORE you received your 03FFL.

C&R firearms you acquire AFTER receiving your 03FFL, whether obtained using your license or not, must be recorded in your bound book.

Last edited:
Uh thats what I said.
Never said record anything that you had before you license
I said to record any C&R firearm even if you do not use your license to do so.(meaning after you had license, thought that was a givin considering the disscussion)
All CMP purchases for example

I think he was clarifying what Hkmp5sd incorrectly wrote -

You need to enter any C&R firearms you acquire after obtaining the license and any C&R firearms you currently own should you sell/transfer one to someone else.

Last edited:
Maybe I screwed up, but I too wasnt completey clear on some things, such as if CMP puchases needed to be logged or c&r's I had before my licenses needed to be logged.

I log everything, all cmp purchases and the items I owned before my 03 license. In case of an audit I'd rather be told that I have too much logged than not enough.

Nothing purchased before you had you license needs to be logged in, only logged out if sold
Everything that is C&R eligeable needs to be logged in after you aquired your license even if you didnt use you license to aquire the firearms , such as CMP firearms

Interesting thread. Sorry to drag it back from the dead, but I have a further question.

So all NON-C&R guns whether acquired before or after you get your license are simply not a factor. They do not get logged ever. Correct?

If You Used Your C & R To Transfer It To You...

If it was bought from a dealer and the dealer forced you to fill out a Form 4473 to complete the transfer, it doesn't have to be logged in the book.

I find most local gun dealers reluctant to accept a C & R license in lieu of doing the form, and their running a NICS check on you.

Its pretty simple guys and has been covered already in this thread
Do not log in any C&R firearm that was aquired" BEFORE " you got you license
You must log out 'ALL" C&R firearms when disposed of
You must log in all C&R firearms wether you used your license to obtain them or not

Does the bound book literally have to be a bound book? How about pages I printed off my computer, hole punched, and placed in a 3-ring binder?

Back