"00" Federal - Standard or Reduced Recoil?

Thanks Dave McC! Any idea what impact this will have on their product offering. Hopefully they will leave them alone to run as a self contained unit.

I got in 250 rounds of Estate SWAT today. I can't wait to test it out. I've got some turtles that are waiting for me in our tank. :)

They also had a sale one some .454 ammo too.

A different cup of tea ... I've seen some very logical arguments for #1 buck ... more pellets on target, with comparable caliber and energy in comparison to 00.

Good luck with your choice. Regards from AZ

I used to buy that argument regarding #1 buck, but logic should tell you that 8, 9, 12, or whatever number of pellets
isn't going to make much difference to the target, especially if it's a two legged target. It makes a good topic for discussion, but in the real world, who cares?

I shoot what gives me the tightest and most consistant patterns and don't worry about it.

DML, if the distance is very short range then like McC said, you could load a shotgun shell with M&M's and have it be lethal. The larger buck argument does have substantiated merit when the target distance starts to open up a bit. With distance, and therefore wider pattern, you'll need the penetration of the larger buck sizes like 00 or #1.

We all know - technically - that we shoudn't even be using a shotgun at even meduim range distances due to the wide pattern. However, if we were to have to use a shotgun at the extreme outer edge of it's range I'd sure like to take my chances with 00 or #1, in which even 1 or 2 pellets connecting would be significant, rather than something like a small shot. You may connect with 50 small shot pellets but that may very well just pi$$ off the target...

Be safe and practice practice practice.

CMOS

CMOS:

May I call you "chip"? Just kidding. :-)

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I prefer 00 and 000 buck. Some people prefer #4 buck which I think is a mistake much past 20 yards. What I was trying to say was that at 25 or 30 yards (out of a Vang Comp Barrel) the target won't know the difference between 00 or 000 or 8 pellets or 9 pellets. The target probably won't know the difference between a reduced recoil load or a magnum load.

Of course, I'm referring to a two legged target. Hunting a four legged animal requires the most powerful load that you can handle. IMHO of course.

This whole "breath mints" load has got me thinking. Wouldn't breath mints just be turned to dust by the initial blast? Even if they got to the target it sure seems like they'd be prone to shatter on clothing and skin, leaving only surface wounds. Has anyone actually tried this? M&M's likewise, though they might be tough enough to melt in your gut, not in the barrel. I'd favor a load of Jolly Ranchers or, most fearful of all, Mike & Ike's. Maybe I'll get set up and start testing these tasty loads on ballistic geletin. Or, better yet, Jell-O brand geletin!

Hmmmmmmm...

GRH, I think you're on to something. I would also like to have someone test gummy bears as a non-lethal alternative. You know, for crowd control type applications.

Back to the M&M's for minute, ever try to eat some of these babies when they're cold!? Picture this advertisement:

- We now stock 12 gauge shells in "00", "000" and "M&M"

CMOS ;)

Originally posted by Dave Mcc:
Guys, you DO know I'm being sarcastic when I mention breath mints, right?

What? You weren’t serious? I worked up some handloads and found that TicTacs have a much tighter pattern than Certs…

Originally posted by Dave Mcc:
At typical HD ranges, the shells could be loaded with breath mints or 000 depleted Uranium pellets rubbed with garlic, the results will be the same.

Should I use freshly pressed garlic, or can I use dried garlic flakes soaked in Hoppes #9? (This would clean the barrel with each shot!)

But seriously, thanks for all your posts Dave. I bought my first shotgun a month ago and I’ve learned a great deal from all the information presented here.

- Don

Excuse me, but dead is dead whether it's 000, 00, 0, 1, 4 buck or 7 1/2 bird shot. The constant arguement over which size is best is really a waste of time like comparing a .308 Win to .30-06.

Well I wasn't being sarcastic! I've already figured out how to prepare a wonderful dessert in about half a second. I mix a variety of hard candies in a 3" shell with a half load of powder, load it in my Topper and fire it from about two feet into a cube of vanilla ice cream. I call it "Blasted Alaska." For extra flavor and a crisper shell on the ice cream, use black powder.

Back