zf41 scope v Weaver 330

Anybody have a Mauser 98 with a WW II zf41 scope? Is it nitrogen sealed and how does it compare to the Weaver 330/M73B-1/M73B-2?

I'm not looking to buy a zf41 or a repro, but want opinions on it as a optical device.

Do you mean ZF41, the 1.5X "Scout" type scope that mounts at the rear sight, or do you mean ZF39, the 4X traditional type scope that mounts over the receiver? The ZF39 is closer to the Weaver in function.

I have a post war Henzolt Wetzlar mounted on a Yugo reworked K98, in a reproduction High Turret mount. Mine is not exactly a ZF39, but very close, the only real difference is the focus. Mine is a collar near the rear ring, the ZF39 is a knob on the elevation turret.

ht_left.jpg

The glass on it is excellent. None of the WW2 era German scopes were sealed, the turret and claw mounts of the era were solid rings, intended to be soldered in place, and the scope had to be taken apart to be mounted in the rings.

They also did not have windage adjustments, the windage zero was set with the mounts.

I meant the one that mounts on the rear sight base, the zf41. Thanks for your insights on the other one. Wonder why the Germans didn't put a wood cheekpiece on it like the British did with the SMLE No. 4(T). Yeah, they can still use the iron sights, but still awkward with the glass.

Back