Zeiss Terra VS Vortex Viper HS.

tahunua001

Hello all,
I am looking for a very nice, but relatively inexpensive rifle scope. I am currently considering either a Vortex Viper HS or a Zeiss Terra(hunting turret model). I like vortex optics, but it seems like they are a little hit or miss at times. I have no first hand experience with Zeiss because no one in my area carries them and yet every eye doctor in my area uses equipment made by them so I'm curious. does anyone have any experience with either of these?

They don't call it the Terrable for nothing. The only thing Ziess in that scope is the nameplate. I'm not a Vortex fan by any means, looked through a few and not impressed with any but the Razors but, I'd take one over a Terrable.

There are a lot of scopes better than either in that price range. I'd jump on a Meopta Meopro or Bushnell Elite, the Meopro is basically the old Conquest line Meopta use to build for Ziess.

The Terra line has pretty much nothing in common with the previous Zeiss (IE Conquest) lines. I wouldn't look at it in the same class as anything but the lowest of Vortex scopes, and I am not a huge Vortex guy either.

excellent I'm starting to get the picture. I've never heard of meopta optics though, that's a new one for me. shifting gears yet again, if a fellow can't find any meopta scopes within is $400 price range, what is the overarching opinion on athlon optics in comparison with vortex?
to add a little bit on what I'm after, I don't need a paralax turret or windage/elevation adjustable turrets, I'm not a sniper wannabe. what I really value is clear picture, crisp crosshairs, and zoom levels as close as possible to what the name suggests. I would prefer a 3-9x but a 2x min or 12x max wouldn't be outside the realm of practicality for this rifle.

thanks so much for your input guys. I found a good deal on the viper and decided to jump on it. I have no experience with burris, but I've bought two leupolds, one wouldn't hold zero, the other had chipped glass and they charged me nearly as much for a halfassed repair as I paid for the damn thing retail. I will never again own a leupold scope.

Not picking a fight or anything, but Leupold has never once charged me for any repairs to their optics (if it has electronics the warranty on the electronics isn't as good). It didn't matter if it was my fault or not, the only thing I ever paid was shipping to have it repaired. Every used Leupold I've purchased has been back to have a check up, they even replaced a Vari-X II with a VXII because my old scope couldn't be fixed.

I've also used Burris a couple of times and had noting but a stellar experience with their customer service. Nikon is the only one that has ever jacked me around. However, my scope did come back fixed.

Wow... I've never heard anyone call a Vortex Viper an inexpensive scope!!!

I really need to get a different job!!! :rolleyes:

I have to agree with Taylorforce. I've had three Leupolds turn toes up on em, two at the range and one on a hunt. In every case, Leupold fixed the scope at no charge. Return was usually within a couple of weeks.
Paul B.

well. I don't know what to tell you, I sent a scope to them because it was damaged, they called me 2 weeks later to tell me it would cost 180 for them to kindof fix it or $300 to totally fix it and it wasn't covered by warranty and since the scope cost me $200 to begin with I paid for the halfassed fix and decided I was done with them.

Last edited:
Back