zeiss terra 3x

kilotanker22

hello all

i was thinking about buying a couple of zeiss terra 3x scopes to put on some of my rifles namely two i just layed away.

i was thinking the 2-7 on my 7mm-08 will be used mostly for hunting and often back in the woods.

and a 4-12 on the 300 win mag. also for hunting but more in the open.

are the terra scopes pretty good? i cant imagine with a 499 dollar price tag they could be all that bad. must be leaps and bounds above the optics i am used to like the prostaff and bushnell elite

both rifles are new win model 70

Last edited:
I've only looked through them in stores, but there have been numerous posts on other forums from guys who actually have bought them. Zeiss claims them to be a direct replacement for the now discontinued 3-9X40 Conquest. By most accounts the glass is about the same but some claim it is not quite as good. Looking through one in a store I can't say for sure, but I could live with the glass quality.

One thing is certain. The eye relief on the Terra's is a lot shorter, especially on 9X. The old Conquest is 4" on all powers. The Terra is around 3.5" on 3X, and a bit under 3" on 9X. For me 3.5" is about the minimum on any power so that gives me some concern.

My personal opinion is that I'd choose a Leupold VX-3 at $500. Or the VX-2 at around $300.

These guys have reconditioned Conquests for $400. I'd rather buy this than the Terra.

http://www.samplelist.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P67506.aspx

maybe make sense to buy a conquest hd? i will check out the vx3 but they are hard to come by in my parts so maybe online would be the only way

Back