Zastava M85 "Mini Mauser"

Several years ago they were being sold by J&G Sales in Arizona. Unfortunately for me, I hesitated too long, and missed out. Are they still being manufactured? Are they still being imported? If so, by whom?

I'm mostly interested in 7.62x39, but I'd consider 5.56x45.

I have seen the in that last year at cabelas. I dont know if they were a catalog item. These were out on the floor where the low end used guns are racked. It might be worth calling a few in your predetermined max radius of travel. I dont now where CONUS is, but; cabelas are pretty well spread out.

That does not mean you will find one today. The importation seems like a on/off again situation for the bolt actions, rimfire, mini-bolt and std length bolt.

I can't give you a leade on finding them.Remington bought the rights to the Zastava and offered the 798 full size Mauser and the 799 mini for a while.They were discontinued.
While I never saw one for sale, they (Zastave/J+G) cataloged a 22-250 version. It seemed to me to be ideal for the Remington Bench Rest series,I was thinking 6.5 Benchrest. Nice thought,but no action.
What I can suggest is that Howa offers a fairly reasonably priced mini-bolt barreled action and Brownell's often has them for sale.
Someone,maybe Bell and Carlson? offers a composite stock.

And,of course,you can spend a bit more for the CZ. They offer some nice,accurate rifles.

FWIW,the Howa is available in 6.5 Grendel,also

Last edited:
I called K-Var, the link with all the Zastava posted by Steve. I asked about my needs (not the 85). I was told that at this time, no one is importing zestava rifles. It does not sound promising. I guess, for the short term or not so short term, we are limited to what is out there.

I did see some new M85 in 223 on the web. I recommend the cz in that space. it is a true Mauser, not a push feed like the M85. And the stocks do not need to be refinished.

You had 2 options. Century or somebody called Fime Group Llc in Vegas. No mention of Zastava on either site though. Lots of Zastava stuff on the assorted auction sites.

I would want the exact specimen in my hands before I proceeded. I have had three different versions of the mini mausers. I do not learn things very well, lol.
...two had crappy wood and did not feed in 223. the 222 fed well but the top of the receiver needed a stack of shims to level the scope mounts.
.....bottom line> after shooting two different RAPs with no grief, that's my choice. bob.

I bought a "Mini-Mauser" in 7.62x39 years ago because it was "cute" and basically one of very few choices for a low recoil kid's deer rifle. Function is hitchy and accuracy with the ammo available at that time was mediocre.
This may have improved (or maybe not) over the last 8-10 years. My "cute" little carbine hasn't seen daylight for nearly that long.

Right now ,in stock,on sale you can get a mini-Howa bolt barreled action for $259
That is a barreled action. No stock. Although that is a good alternative, many people are not looking to assemble a rifle from parts. Also note that the Mini-Mauser is a lot easier to field carry due to the flush magazine floor plate, the other rifles mentioned have protruding magazines.

And if your Mini-Mauser is just sitting and you want to get rid of it, PM me.

Something I feel is worth a repeat. The zestava M70 is a true mauser action and at the cableas clearance price of $300, worth the price for the action alone.

The M85 so called "mini mauser" is a push feed with a FAKE cosmetic extractor. The gun, IMHO, has little parts value and certainly none of the traditional Mauser appeal.

That variation in fit and finish when perusing a rack of M70 was amazing. Some looked pretty good and only need a good strip and refinsh while others had gaps and blemishes in what I consider a total POS junk stock. The metal work appeared good with a real blue. Try and find a gun that is polished and blued today.

Blind buying one of these, sight unseen, any model, is a big gamble. I might, but; just be aware and dont be a cry baby later.

Back