Yugo M57 Tokarev ID

captainprice

Just picked a new-to-me Tokarev M57 from a relatively well-known online retailer and have found a few things somewhat peculiar. Firearm was advertised as "with crest," which made me assume the item SKU was for a military/police sample. Upon taking it home, I've noticed a few things that don't seem to make a whole lot of sense based on what I've been able to find online. Hoping you guys might be able to help. Please see pics.

1. Crest doesn't seem as 'deep' or substantial as other samples I've seen online; almost seems as if it isn't factory or original. So worn/unclear/light that I'm unable to determine if its a 5 or 6 flame torch.
2. "C" or "CO" prefix typically denotes a commercial version, which typically do not have a crest. Also, I couldn't find any other examples with the "CO" prefix. However, does have lanyard loop as shown in pictures.
3. Frame, slide and barrel numbers match (electro-pencilled inside ones do not) but seem numerically higher than any online tables of prefix/serial # dates I could find. Six digits after letter prefix, 270000 range.
4. Seems to be "1989" stamped into the frame inside of where the takedown lever/pin sits when in assembled condition. Haven't seen any other mention of this and it may not show up in the pictures, but it's definitely there.

Hoping someone out there might know a bit more than me! Thanks in advance guys

Attachments

• Tok 3.jpeg
    Tok 3.jpeg
    602.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Tok 1 Large.jpeg
    Tok 1 Large.jpeg
    600.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Tok 4 Large.jpeg
    Tok 4 Large.jpeg
    560 KB · Views: 56
Hey there!

I’m not too familiar with the Tokarevs but I can definitely say, better guns have been made than those made by Russians.

Anyway, to try to answer your question, it seems that you’ve been hoodwinked, bamboozled, run amok, flat out deceived if you will.

Better luck on your next gun (hopefully not russian)

-SF

Crest doesn't seem as 'deep' or substantial as other samples I've seen online; almost seems as if it isn't factory or original.
You think someone stamped a fake crest on it and then refinished it? Here are my thoughts.

The depth of the crest stamping seems to vary. You can see two in this description, one quite deep and the other quite lightly stamped.

https://ows-ammo.com/product/zastav...ndition-7-62x25-with-yugo-crest-and-magazine/

That doesn't look like a collector grade gun to me, based on the other pictures, so I'm not sure that the depth of the stamping really hurts the value much. Unless you paid a collector price for it, I wouldn't sweat it. And if you did, I'd be concerned about other condition issues on the gun besides the crest.

Given the overall condition of the gun, it seems unlikely, IMO, that someone has refinished it since it left the factory.
3. Frame, slide and barrel numbers match (electro-pencilled inside ones do not) but seem numerically higher than any online tables of prefix/serial # dates I could find. Six digits after letter prefix, 270000 range.
The serial number locations and prefix indicates that the gun is a commercial model, although, supposedly, the military and police did purchase some commercial pistols, so it's possible it could have been commercial and still done military/police service.

Back