Yugo M48 for fun/camp gun...good rifle?

Strabs

I've been noticing a lot of these M48s popping up and they look kind of interesting. For the price ($199.00 local) are they worth it? They're suppose to be brand new, with some accesories. I understand the Mauser actions are supposed to be excellent quality and durable ( at least the K98s,which I'm unsure if these are the same)
As far as installing a barrel in .308 (Brownells) and "updating" the furniture etc...would it be worth it (financially) in the end? I'm not neccesarily looking at one as a collectors piece, but more of a brush/backup/(tinker with)gun.

Strabs;

Could I make a suggestion for an alternative? If you're going to convert to .308, why not buy one of the Steyr-made "Modelo 1912/61" (or 60?) models being sold all over the place. They are already .308 cal., have iron sights, and could be readily dropped into a ramline stock. Recently I saw an article about converting one of these into a "poor-man's scout rifle" using the "Ashley Outdoors" scout scope mount. Personally I'd blow off the scout concept, have it drilled and tapped, and install a good conventional scope. (If you're so inclined you could buy a drilling jig from Midway for about 45 bucks).

I don't know if the '48's are standard length M98's or are the slightly shorter version of the 98 (still, they are all 98's).

The actions are of undeniably good quality, and I'm told the barrels for these are excellent. (I own one but haven't yet shot it to tell you more.)

I paid $149.00 for mine at a Texas gun show. There's bunches of 'em out there.

At Brownells, they offer barrels for 'large ring' and 'small ring' actions. They state that the small ring type that they offer barrels for are not as strong and you have to be real sure of the load you decide to use in them...do the M48s qualify as 'large ring' or the small ring' ( I'm not really sure what these terms mean...is it the part of the action where the barrel threads in to?)

Back