Yugo M24/47

bentley

Inactive
Recently purchased a Yugoslavian M24/47 (stamped on left side of receiver)with a nearly rubbed or worn off Yugoslavian crest. It has what appears to be a Cyrillic serial number (ending in or followed by "44" which is larger than the rest of the Cyrillic stamped number) on the receiver in addition to a four digit Arabic number on receiver, barrel and stock.

I can not find any information about the M24/47 in my Mauser book. Would like to know the history of this rifle. Can you help me?

Thanks,
Bentley

Bently:
My records indicate the following:
Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes until 1929.

These Mauser usually displayed markings in Cyrillic. The guns made before 1939 also had a chamber-top crest of a crowned shield bearing a double headed eagle, placed on a pavilion of gathered cloth. Products of Voino Tekhniki Zavod (state factory) in Kraguyevac often bore a trademark comprising of BT3 (Cyrillic for VTZ) within a triangle. The chambers of post 1948 weapons had the state emblem of six torches within a circle of wheat ears.

Prior to 1923 the kindom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes used of Servian M1899 and M1899/07 rifles converted to 7.9X57mm, 7.9mm M24B rifles (ex-Mexican M1912) converted at Steyr in the 1920's and shortened ex-Turkish M90T 7.9mm conversions.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited September 26, 1999).]

Thank you,

It does has the communist crest which is worn. It is in the k98 configuration and chambers the 7.9X57. I do not see the "BT3" mark.

Could this be an FN contract M24 reworked in 47?

Help!

I need some advice re; a 24/47 Yugo Mauser! Just bought one from Big5 here in the "peoples republic of California"! Got a decent one and as yet have only boiled the bolt to get the fire/pin to work. How in the heck do ya get the cleaning rod out of the stock. I hate to use pliers, am i doing something wrong? Thanks for any help--------

Cleaning rod for 24/47

Thanks, appreciate the assistance! Not much cosomoline on the rifle /carbine so will concentrate on renewing the stock.

Back